What des this look like? Insect bite or something else?

Yesterday my almost 3 year old woke with a swollen eye to me it looked like a bite. I tried several things which he fought (apple slice, onion slice, heat and ice) he finally let me use baking sda paste. The swelling went about 1/2 way down, but this morning it was sollen almost as bad again and is more red.

I can't get ahold of a Dr till morning. I gave him 1/2 t of benedryl but he is fighting anything going near his eye/eyelid. Any suggestions are helpful please PM if you have suggestions.

Jerichos_Mommy

Asked by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Near the eye I'd think sty, or blocked tear duct. In which heat, warm compresses, would be the treatment. Since you aren't sure, and since it swelled up again, it would be a good idea to get it checked.

Answer by Bmat at 2:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Can you post a picture? Are there any bite marks?
    It could just be a sty, I get them on occasion. There is nothing to do for them but wait for them to go away on their own.
    If it gets really hot to the touch, or gets angry red streaks radiating from it then go directly to the ER. Also if it starts oozing anything. Or if his breathing changes, like he gets short of breath, it could be an allergic reaction to whatever bit him.
    Otherwise it should be fine to wait and take him to the doc tomorrow.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• try to put a cold wet cloth on it or an ice pack. tell them they have to keep it on so it will get better.
    Anonymous

• gets some childrens benadryl def watch for signs of infection and hot to the touch, does it itch him at all?
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• tape a penny to it......I know that sounds stupid but try it, it works. My mom got stung by a wasp and we taped a penny to it and the swelling was down in an hour.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• In the newcomers club look search my screen name and their is a post with pic. I did get children's benedryl this morning. Gave a dose at 9:30 and again at 1:30pm. He did try to rub his eye prior to the first dose. The second dose was at naptime so he is sleeping now.

I read that a cornstarch paste works on some bite s I made a paste with benedryl and corn starch and applied lighty to his lid. I am hoping that helps.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 5:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009