The strength of an unicorn?

Unicorns have never existed, yet they are said to in Deuteronomy 33:17,
Numbers 23:22, Numbers 24:8, Isaiah 34:7 as well as a few times in Pslams. So, where are they? Why are they missing from the fossil record?

Also, if mythological creatures such as unicorns, flying serpants and something called a cockatrice are obviously creatures of myth, why can't the rest of the Bible be?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 1:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Along the lines of what Beccare2000 says, it is not important for us to become ancient historians and geologists to pick a part the Bible and go on expeditions to verify every literal word within it's pages. Foremost because Christianity is about FAITH. Secondly, because the Bible was written in a culture, time and language not our own. It also contains the interjections and personal opinions of its human authors (book of Hosea for example...eeek!). In addition, it was translated by people I've never met personally but trust that they did a good job (lol). So, although I believe the Bible contains the word of God to us by inspiration of human authors as well as enlightenment through reading and is an unmatched tool, it is not vital to my salvation that I be able to prove the logistics of the Bible from start to finish. My faith is based on a personal calling by the Holy Spirit. Period. :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Um, since when is an ox and a bull the same as a unicorn??
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• unicorns my favorite magical mythilogical creatures. Don't doubt them.
    Anonymous

• beccare2000, where are you seeing ox and bull? Funny how SOME translations have taken the unicorn out- hmmm... I wonder why?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• None of the translations I have read said unicorn. Which translation do you use?
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Actually if your look it up in the King James version it does have unicorns in it.
    isaiah 34: 7And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

once the general population got smart enough to know that unicorns aren't real the church took them out.
    mbaker331

Answer by mbaker331 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• King James, Webster's Bible Translation, Geneva Study Bible, Wesley's Notes, say unicorn. The Douay-Rheims Bible says rhinoceros... clearly there is a problem in translation because a unicorn, a rhino, an ox and a buffalo do not look alike at all.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Interesting... well I looked in the King James Version and found these phrases in Numbers and Deuteronomy...
    "horns like a unicorn"
    "strength of a unicorn"
    These phrases are metaphors. Neither one say that there were unicorns.

Isaiah 34 is a prophecy of things to come.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• So the entire Bible is simply full of metaphors? Am I supposed to believe that unicorns didn't exist but talking snakes and asses did?

How do you explain the taking out of the word unicorn and cockatrice and it being replaced by something else? Doesn't it bother you to know that if they chose to do that, they might have changed other things as well? How can you trust something that has numerous translations out there?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Good questions. No, I don't believe the Bible is simply full of metaphors.

What I wish you could get (although I'm sure to get an eye-roll from this response- hehehe!)... I don't HAVE to understand everything about the Bible. Many stories in it do not follow logic, and that's completely fine with me.
    23 years ago I accepted Christ into my heart. I can't explain the relationship I have with Him... it's something you HAVE to experience to understand. My relationship with God is what makes me a Christian, not understanding everything that's in the Bible. Would I like to understand everything... yeah! That would be awesome! But, I have all eternity to gain an understanding of the mysteries of the Bible and God.
    The fact that some interpreters chose a different word than others- no, that really doesn't bother me. I'm not a Christian because of words that are used in the Bible, but because of my relationship with God.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2009