The Elijah mystery

(Malachi 4:5) Elijah must return before the final days of the world. (Matthew 11:12-14) Jesus said that John the Baptist was Elijah. (Matthew 17:12- 13) Jesus insists that Elijah has already come, and everyone understood him to mean John the Baptist. (Mark 9:13) Jesus insists that Elijah has already come. (John 1:21) John the Baptist maintained that he was not Elijah.

So, did John simply not realize he was the reincarnation of dear ole' Eli?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 2:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• John was not Elijah, reincarnated or otherwise; he was a man named John. So when they asked him if he was literally Elijah he said no.

But he was the "Elijah who was to come" prophesied in Malachi, and confirmed by Jesus.

So I guess it is good that he said no, otherwise people would have probably thought he was literally Elijah reincarnated or come again.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Jesus pointed to John the Baptist as a type of fulfillment of Elijah's coming but he was not a reincarnation.

Luke 1:17 says John comes in the spirit of Elijah; meaning to fulfill his purpose, which is the purpose of being the fore-runner of the Messiah (validating Jesus as the Messiah). It is not that he possesses the actual spirit of Elijah.

This is proven in John 1:20 when the Jews sent out the priests and Levites to investigate John's ministry. They ask him if he is the Christ. He states emphatically “No!” They ask him again if he is Elijah, John answers “I am not.” This is not a temporary memory loss for John that Jesus has to correct later. In verse 25, John the Baptist is asked, ‘Why do you baptize if you are not the Christ nor Elijah nor the prophet?’ In verses 25-27 John points to the Messiah who is coming after him. He states that it is he who is the forerunner of Malachi 3:1. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• In Luke 1:76, we see that John's father, Zecharias, is filled with the Holy spirit and says that his child will be called the prophet of the highest and will “go before the face of the Lord and prepare His ways again.' This relates John's ministry to Mal. 3:1, 4:5, and Luke 1:17. John labored in the same Spirit and power of the former prophet by calling people to repentance and he was preparing them for the salvation that Christ would later bring.

John the Baptist was a fulfillment of the Elijah prophecy because he is being COMPARED to Elijah as a forerunner of Christ and is used as proof to the Messiah of Christ. It is not biblical support of reincarnation or a LITERAL Elijah. :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Are you seriously saying John had a momentary lapse of memory and FORGOT? Jeeze... now I've heard everything....
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• How scary would THAt be? 'I am Elijah come again!' People would have thought him crazy!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You misread.

I said "This is NOT a temporary memory loss for John that Jesus has to correct later." (and then the rest of my answer goes on to explain). I said at least twice that John the Baptist REPRESENTED Elijah as a forerunner to Christ and therefore fulfilled the prophecy as a representitive of Elijah but was NOT Elijah himself NOR did he "forget" who he was. :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Sorry about that. I actually read it twice and STILL read it wrong!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2009