What do you think of NY's plan to Gas Geese?

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/dozens-protest-killing-of-geese-near-airports/

Just a few blocks north of Union Square, a crowd gathered outside the headquarters of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on Tuesday afternoon to protest New York City’s plan to kill at least 2,000 geese during their molting season, a time when the geese cannot fly.

The authorities announced the plan to kill the geese on Thursday, in response to the bird strike that resulted in the nearly disastrous ditching of US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River in January. The first 100 geese were killed on Monday.

The geese that took down Flight 1549 on Jan. 15 were migratory geese, while the geese that are going to be killed in the next few weeks are resident birds, the protesters pointed out. The disruption of their habitats would not have prevented the accident in January, they said.

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I kind of have a problem with them doing this in the first place; but I have an even bigger problem with them doing this during the time of year these birds aren't even a danger...they can't even fly...on top of the fact that they're going after these birds in response to the Hudson incident but these are a different type of bird...ummm where is the logic? AND there are non-lethal ways of handling this...I've seen on tv they've used dogs to chase off these types of un-wanted birds...if they're going to spend the money to catch and kill them why not spend it to obtain and train dogs? I'm sure there are other non-lethal solutions that would last longer...it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The migratory pattern is not disrupted they are increasing dramatically in numbers
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Carpy - they aren't killing migratory birds...but resident birds...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• sorry read it wrong
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think it's a knee jerk reaction and as much as I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE PETA, I hope that they get on this shit like flies.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 2:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• they shouldn't be allowed to do things like this...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think it's wrong.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• SarahColbert - you almost made me spit soda!

I dislike PETA's tactics and extremisim as well...I saw in the orginial article that the Humane Society of America & Urban Wildlife Coalition & Friends of Animals etc have spoken out against this (slightly more toned down in their tactics than PETA! lol)...I would hope other groups would as well (Sierra Club; etc...) -- I guess I need to do a little more digging; I thought these geese were protected birds...like if one of us shot one down and were caught there would be a large fine...so why is it then ok for them to mass euthanize them? I need to check that I guess...lots of different kinds of geese I suppose...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Several years ago, United Action for Animals outlined a plan for NY which required the addling of geese eggs within a five mile radius of the airport. The city refused to do this and instead, rounded up and killed the geese during the molt. As we have all seen, this hasn..t worked but still they persist in this vicious destruction.
    beachmamaof2

• I was right - these geese are protected of sorts - and regular people like you and I can not harm them in any way; even in removing them from our property without lots of prior authorization and permits...Yet it's ok to let the state just eliminate thousands in one fell swoop...gotcha'

There are several sites to verify that with a quick search =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009