Was Jesus really the Messiah?

The Messiah must be a physical descendant of David (Romans 1:3 & Acts 2:30). Yet, how could Jesus meet this requirement since his genealogies in Matthew 1 and Luke 3 show he descended from David through Joseph, who was not his natural father because of the Virgin Birth. Hence, this prophecy could not have been fulfilled.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 2:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, Jesus was not blood related to Joseph, but like I said above Mary was still a descendent of David, through his son Nathan not Solomon (the king). Nathan's bloodline was better, because it wasn't cursed.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Yes He was the Messiah, the genealogy in Matthew is the genealogy of Joseph. It says Joseph the husband of Mary, who was the mother of Christ" (v. 16) It doesn't call Joseph the father of Jesus, because technically he wasn't although he took Mary to be his wife.

The genealogy in Luke is the genealogy of Mary. Who was also descended from David : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom always gets to it first and it's a good thing because she always says it best lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Jesus is the Messiah. This is Quoted in the Quran which followed the bible in revelation and it came to verify and confirm what came before it. Whether the relationship was of blood or not was not explained. However we do know that He is the Messiah son of Mary by virgin birth. You've given me something to ask about and search for. I will try to read up on Jesus in the books of the Prophets and see if this is mentioned. i 'll try to get back to you on it. if i forget remind me. :)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 2:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• What I'm getting at is that Jesus was not blood related to Joseph AT ALL because his mother was impregnated by God. I love my step-father, but he's not my REAL father by blood no matter how much I want him to be!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• There are only two recorded genealogies of Jesus in the New Testament. This first one is the recording of Jesus’ lineage from Joseph. Notice how it doesn’t state that Joseph “begot” Jesus, as it does throughout the genealogy. This is because Joseph is only Jesus’ adopted father. “Jacob was the father of Joseph, and Joseph was the husband of Mary.” Jesus was not conceived by Joseph, but by the Holy Spirit. This genealogy shows that Joseph descended both from Abraham and from David. But Joseph came from Solomon’s line, a cursed line. Mary on the other hand, as you see in Luke is also descended from Abraham and David. But she is from Nathan’s blood line, David’s other son, who was not cursed. God promised David that He would establish his blood on the throne forever. God fulfilled His promise to David through the birth of Jesus. He is David’s blood and He reigns forever and ever!!! God is so AMAZING
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Matthew gives this genealogy because he presents Jesus Christ as a King and a King must have the proper pedigree to claim the throne. Mark has no genealogy because he shows Jesus as a servant, and no one cares about a servant’s lineage. Luke presents Jesus as the Son of Man and he gives the genealogy of Mary. John presents Jesus as the Son of God and therefore a genealogy is impossible.
    Cinnamon-mom

• COOL TRIVIA--- I like this topic, so I will share a piece of related trivia "In AD 70 when the Romans attacked Jerusalem, all the genealogical records of the Jewish people were destroyed. Thus, there is no Jew today who can claim with certainty and authority to be a Son of Abraham and a Son of David except Jesus. His genealogy revealed in the Bible is the only preserved genealogy that fulfills both requirements.”

Prophetically (like you said) this is essential to any Messianic claim. Jesus is Messiah.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom, Thank for that information about the records being destroyed! That really sucks because it would have been pretty cool for someone to be able to trace their heritage back that far!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

----------------
    Ditto
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2009