getting a breast pump frm a relativ. is ths really nasty?

my cousin didnt breastfeed for long at all and now i need a breastpump nd she offered to giv me hers, but ive herd about not using another person's breast pump, the labelo on the boxes at walmart evn says "do not return to store after use". im going bak to work nd need a pump asap nd i dont want to buy one of my own bcuz this is going to b my last child nd i dont want to waste the money. answers???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can use the same pump, just buy new cups for it. Anything that touched her milk that will be touching yours needs to be new.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I mean I guess it just all depends how you look at it. The labels only say that because I mean would you want to buy a breast pump that someone else used? No. Especially if you didn't know that person. And there are other health and safety issues that go along with that. That can't just allow anyone to return something after they used it when it touched "private" parts. But if it is your relative, than I guess if you want to use it I see nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't but thats just because I'm weird like that. But its not like she is someone you don't know so that makes a big difference.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• bah humbug, of course you can't use it and return it, but you can sanitize the system and its fine for another person to use it. better than new.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I use a rental pump. I couldn't afford the big medela and my baby was not able to nurse at all.

If it is a good pump you can get new pieces to replace the pieces that the milk goes through. People do that all the time with the big expensive pumps. If it is a small cheap pump, you cans till use it. Just boil all the parts that come in contact with the milk.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• breast milk should never get into the machine. id say buy a couple new cups and a new package of tubing (even though you can just steralize any used ones by boiling for a while). but you should be good to use the machine
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You can buy sanitizing bags. I wouldn't buy all new parts. I would sanitize it and call it good. I got my SIL's when she was done with it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You can sterilize the parts that can be removed. Breast pumps are expensive, if you get a good free one,then use it!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Of course you can. Just get new parts for what does touch the milk like the shields. Heck, you really don't even need that unless the relative had a contagious infection. Just sanitize it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You should replace anything your milk will touch. Higher quality pumps offer these parts seperately from the machine.

sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Like PP said you can sterilize all the parts, which is what you do with a new one anyway. You can also rent them, in fact if you can't afford a good one, renting is an excellent option. I'm going to donate mine when I'm done with nursing.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2009