sleep walking cures?

OMG my brother -n-law sleep walks and last summer my sister found him in the swimming pool in the middle of the night and last night he was asleep and walked out the back door and fell down the steps and when my sister found him he said "how did I get in this predictament(spelling) he ended up in the ER and he has tore ligaments in his legs. Is there anything you can do to cure sleep walking because I saw on t.v. one time a man killed his wife when he was asleep he thought she was an animal or something I dont remember. im afraid he might hurt his kids or wife.

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 3:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Health

• I dont think there is anything you can do. But whatever happens she should NEVER wake him up. That's usually how most sleepwalkers end up hurting others. If he is sleepwalking and she tries to wake him he could think she is who knows what and defend himself.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Has he always sleptwalked or is this a new development? If it is new, then I would have him talk to a counselor or a psychiatrist. Sleep walking usually presents when a person is under a lot of stress or worry. As for how to help him, when I was a child I used to do the same thing. My parents found me in several odd locations, and one time I went to a neighbors house and into their living room! The doctor suggested locking my room at night, as your motor functions are not very good at night. That may help, as will possibly putting something such as a bucket of water right next to his door. If he steps in it he might wake up, and at least if he knocks it over it will waken others in the house. It is a fallacy at that it is dangerous to waken a person sleepwalking, but it can be if you do it roughly, like the above post states, they will try to defend themselves! Hope this helps and good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• There is no cure for that. Most people grow out of it..I use to talk and walk in my sleep when I was a child. Like the above said..Do not wake him..Some times you can redirect a sleep walker. Like get him to come back in the house..My youngest DD walked in her sleep when she was young..I use to redirect to her bed. And tell her to go to sleep. Most people who walk in there sleep do not hurt people.

Answer by louise2 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My son has slept walked from the time he was 3 yrs old. It isn't as bad now as when he was a child or teen. His gets worse when he is stressed out. Ibeg him and my DIL to keep all the guns in the gunsafe at night. I don't know that he could be violent..but I know he is in a way different place when he is sleepwalking. He would get up and eat in his sleep and never know it. I have watched him take a sponn full of peanut butter and dip it in a can of coffee and eat it. He nevers seems to notice. We did wind up putting a door that could be bolted shut. I also put alarms on the entry doors so if he went out I would hear. At 5 he walked out of the house at 3AM to my BF's house and asked her for some Kool-aid. I was in shock he could get out of the house. There are no cures that I know of.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• He does this often my sister has been married to him for 12 years and hes done it off and on the whole time I dont know if he did it before then
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 3:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2009