So should I call and get him put on a 72 hour hold?

My brother is threatening suicide. He says that he tried to kill himself last night and that he has tried 8 times over the last six months. Now I know my brother. He's full of sh*t. He just pulls this crap so that my mom will feel bad and he will get his way. And why shouldn't he? It works every time. But I'm tired of it. He's 18, he should have a job and be living on his own. Our parents make too much for grants and such, so they are paying for classes out of pocket. What does he do? He goes and drinks and fails at least a couple classes every semester. I'm sick of it. Should I call and have him put in the mental hospital on a 72 hour hold? I've never been there (it's called Mid-Mo and I've heard from people who have been there that it's pretty bad since it's state) but I would like for him to be around people who have real problems. Hes just being a spoiled rich kid and I'm sick of it.

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 3:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• I'd be irritated too, everyone I've know that has committed suicide has succeeded on the first try. They didn't pratice or tell. I'd say do it b/c if he is serious (which I doubt) then he needs it and if he isn't serious he needs to see what its like for people who are and maybe have it drilled in his head that its a selfish thing hes doing. Also if he isn't serious he might make a mistake and actually do it one day.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 3:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Suicidal ideation is real. Even if it is being used as a manipulative tool at the present time. Many people who ultimately commit suicide threaten it or make 'attempts' many times before actually succeeding. You owe it to your family and to your brother to take his threats for real. He will either get the help he needs or hopefully learn that making that threat when he isn't serious is not cool.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• This is what I'm saying. It is not cool for him to be acting this way and I'm tired of my parents just playing into it. Something has to be done. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it. My family doesn't like people with mental issues. They probably won't talk to me anymore if I call.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 3:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• anyrw he is being selfish. You know I used to stick up for him. When he was 14 and started this crap I stuck up for him.....last year I let him move in with me for a while. But he has been pulling the same stunts for 4 years.....it's old. It's really, really old.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 3:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I don't think you can just call and have someone committed even if for 72 hours. If he denies doing it then you will look rather silly especially if mom and dad don't back you up and most moms don't want their kid locked up.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You can call here. I've done it before with a friend. I know my other brother would back me up.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 5:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009