Does anyone have advice for me on adopting from Ethiopia?

How do i raise money to pay for the adoption, do some agencies set up finance options for you?

godisable

Asked by godisable at 3:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Adoption

• There are millions of babies in the usa that need good homes. My advice is adopt one of them.
    Anonymous

• The decision is yours - you'll get plenty of people telling you what you should or should not do. I've heard that some people look for deals at garage sales or even things from Freecyclers that people need to get rid of, then sell them on EBay. My cousin, who is disabled with MS, made a pretty decent living doing this for a few years. If you're fortunate, your employer or DH's employer may have some sort of reimbursement program. How much time do you have before you do this? When we were both working full-time before we had kids, we were very frugal and were able to save about $1000 a month (no car payments, no buying clothes, etc.).

I don't have any experience with international adoption so I don't have any really good advice. I just want to wish you the best of luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I want to address one other thing - I keep seeing a statement that there are "millions" of kids/babies in the U.S. that need homes. The last figure I saw was 139,000 kids in foster care. The number of babies is considerably smaller. Do your own thing, mama. Don't let it bug you when everyone wants to tell you what to do.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• OK so there are 139,000 kids in the usa that need homes adopt one of them. but that is just my opinion. Sorry my statisics weren't spot on. Next time I will try to google before I answer so that I am sure to have good facts for you.
    Anonymous

• OP - sorry for the multiple posts. I just remembered someone who adopted through Holt, International, and she told me they set up financing for her. Beyond that, I don't know anything else about that agency.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I appreciate you both trying to help, lamg8teful you have truly went out of your way thanks alot.
    godisable

Answer by godisable at 3:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Godisable-

I would look up Ethiopia specific adoption groups on yahoo. There are probably a bunch of them out there and they will have the best information available for you.
    Anon- If you have nothing of value to add in the way of International Adoption- stay out of the thread. It is obvious that you know nothing about domestic adoption- be it foster system or domestic since you are spouting nonsensical information.
    More than half of the children in the US are NOT available for adoption. They MUST have TPR signed and sadly for most children that will never happen. The US system is not set up for adoption it is set up for reunification of the biological family.
    If you are going to make asinine comments, have the info to back it up or do it yourself. It is not every person's desire to adopt from foster care nor from domestic. Also, the OP may not fit the reqs for either of those processes.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I don't particularly care for anons who post with negative messages.  More specifically parents who talk about all the kids available in the U.S. but make no attempts and give every excuse as to why they can't but would love to provide a good home. The above poster is also correct about children available in foster care - very limited. Anyways....there are some ways to raise money. My friends made candles and sold them at craft shows and to all places possible. I'm just not that crafty. You can network on facebook and share with your friends inviting whoever wants to donate to your endeavor. You can also have several of your local area churches participate if they are willing to raise the money. You have to be willing to put yourself out there and be creative. If I had the money and it fit our family I would in a heartbeat adopt from an African country. Lots of good thoughts being sent your way. Good luck.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I know it definitely helps to take the time to learn about the country and the culture. As far as financing, that depends on agency to agency...I hate the idea of a baby not being 'paid off', though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Anon 7:55, I'm confused about what you mean by a baby not being "paid off", and I'm sure it may provoke some controversy. Do you mean having to make payments toward the fees for the agency? We live with debt in lots of other circumstances. It's not ideal, but we do it. The OP is asking for some ideas about raising money beforehand, so it looks like she's trying to avoid debt as much as possible.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2009