How to make mashed potatoes healthy

How do I make mashed potatoes healthy? My daughter had them once, and she seemed to like them. They also stick to her spoon, which comes in handy while she's learning to properly use utensils.

Thanks!!

She's almost 12 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Adding pureed veggies works well. Older kids seem to get a kick out of colored mashed potatoes as well (ex: pureed spinich to make green, carrots for orange, etc). I was a chef before having kids so I can't imagine making them without butter and milk or cream, but that's just me. You don't have to cut out a ton of fat to make them healthy. Also, remember that a baby/toddler isn't going to be eating a ton all at once, so it's not all that big of a deal if she eats a little butter. Oh, and try different types of potatoes, don't just stick to russets. Reds, purple, sweet potatoes, etc.
    dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 3:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• She may not like the skin, but the healthiest mashed potatoes I believe include the skins. I use chicken broth instead of plain water to boil my potatoes. Skip the salt and butter. They will taste just fine to her without the extra fat and sodium.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I boil them in water, drain, mash, and use a little skim milk. I agree with VeronicaLee about skipping the salt. A little low fat or skim sour cream could be used along with or instead of the milk, for variety.

Answer by Bmat at 3:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I have actually been instructed to feed both my little ones foods that are healthy and contain fat. Mashed potatoes is a good one because they eat them and they get the fats. I have also been encouraged to feed them peanut butter! But, they are both small. As long as you don't put a ton of butter in I don't see a problem. I use maybe 3 or 4 Tablespoons of butter in enough potatoes to feed my family of 5.
    tiffanyp1980

Answer by tiffanyp1980 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• use sweet potatoes; they are much healthier than the white ones, and even the non-organic ones are essentially pesticide free.
    You can just bake them, and dice them; you toddler can feed them to herself.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Use Yukon Gold potatoes. At 1 yr old, your daughter needs the fat, so add a bit of butter and milk to make creamy. Sweet potatoes with a bit of butter and brown sugar are yummy too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2009