Have you or will you talk to your child about AIDS when it is time to have the sex talk?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 3:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Health

• My 12 yo already knows about it and has for some time. Other STDs too. My 5 yo knows about AIDS but doesn't know a lot of details. For the record though, "the talk" isn't a one time deal at our house. It is an ongoing process. It started when they were old enough to ask questions about their body, about other people's bodies, about how babies get in the mommy's womb, etc. "The talk" doesn't end until the questions stop and so far they haven't stopped, they've just changed as they got older.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Yes i will have that talk at the same time as the sex talk that's just as important, in my eyes.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I have not yet (they are 8 & 5), but yes, I will. It is a very serious disease, and I want to be sure that they understand that there are more severe consequences to sex than just an unintended pregnancy. I don't like using fear to get my kids to do what I want, but all of the STDs that exist make me feel that this is one instance that I will. Too many people focus on an unplanned pregnancy as the consequence of sex, which is fine, but the thing is, a pregnancy, while not ideal, can in *some* cases, change your life for the better, and does not HAVE to ruin your life forever. An STD, and especially AIDS, cannot make your life better, and can make your life harder, and even destroy it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Depends on how old they are when they start asking me where babies come from. I remember being young when I myself inquired, old enough to understand sex but too young to grasp harsh realities of life-threatening STD's and such. I think I'd revisit the issue when they reached their early teens.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I seen a video of a man dying of it, and it is horrible. I would encourage my kids to remain a virgin till they got married, but ultimately it is the choices we make in life that can be a blessing, or curse.
    Anonymous

• of course.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I did, I also told her about STDs, what boys would say to try to trick her to have sex, you know the if you love me you will, or I cant feel anything with a condom on... I wanted her to be very prepaired in the event she was gonna have sex, I wanted her to know all the risks. The info they get from school at a very early agde is unreal, and very untrue...Best to know the facts from me.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Yes ..and every other STD
    Anonymous

• yes, there's nothing we can't talk about
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I already have had those talks with my kids...they are 12 and 10...my 12 year old thinks every boy is her boyfriend and my husband and i have talked to her and showed her pamphlets on the stds and shown them both stuff off the internet. There is no secrets when it comes to keeping them safe.
    Areala

Answer by Areala at 6:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2009