Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I be forced to take a paternity test?

The father of my child is saying he is getting a court-ordered paternity test. I am 100% sure that she is his and he knows that he just wants me to get it so he will have rights. When I met him he was doing good but since them has dove right back into his alcoholism, has hit me and pushed me down while I was pregnant in front of my son and is threatening to take my daughter after she is born and leave town and never come back. Problem is I have no proof of any of this AND I will have to be on government assistance to make ends meet so is there any way I can NOT take the test? I don't want him to have legal rights unless I know my daughter will be safe.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • yes you have to do the test if it's court ordered.with all that crap on his backrgound though i wouldn't worry about him getting any sort of custody or anything.

    Answer by tnm786 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • P.S. I'm not due until November. He also has drug and forgery charges on his background and is on probation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • if it is court ordered then yes you do have to
    you could get in serious trouble if you dont comply with the courts orders

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • its dosent matter his background when it comes to the test
    his background will only mess up his chances for visitation
    he can infact tho request a court ordered test and you do have to do it

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • To get the assistances your gonna have to get the test and show them that you know who the father is. You need to get in contact with legal aid and ask them what you can do about the situation.

    Answer by raemommy at 3:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • Get a job, tell the courts that its not his baby, just because of him being on alcohol all the time, I wouldn't want a man thats on anything to be in my childs life and screw up the childs life, I know it might be unfair but my friend had a boyfriend that was on drugs and she ended up pregnant and he never knew and he moved away and is now in jail. she doesn't ever want to tell him about the baby cause of what hes into. Take pictures of any marks he gives you on ur body. If ur son is old enough to understand whats going on have him tell the courts what daddy does to you

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • even if she says the baby isnt his
    if he says the baby is thecourt still can infact order a test

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • Start documenting everything he does to you. Call the police if he hurts you & take out a restraining order if you can. If he does get the paternity test & he is in fact the father, you should be able to get his visitation restricted. If you believe he is really going to do this & isn't just using it as a threat to get you all riled up, then contact Legal Aid now. Find out what you need to do to protect yourself & your daughter. Don't be a victim to this bully--go on the offensive & protect yourself & your children.

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • Put another name on the birth record if he is that bad of a father. Then he may not havea chance to is some one eolse signs it,i did with my son b ecuz of the same reason and here in ohio he couldnt get one done becuz he was not down as the father some one else was

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • Sorry, I didn't make a few things clear. He is not the father of my son, I am no longer with him and he knows that if he shows up at my house I will call the police. I am not letting him hurt me anymore I just want to make sure he isn't legally given the opportunity to take my daughter even for a short period of time as I do not trust him to stay sober.
    And I do have a job and don't need his support I just think I may need food stamps and WIC (so I can get a breast pump) after the baby is born.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2009