how in the world do you stop an 8 month old from biting?

I am covered with tiny bruises and when I use my sternest voice and say No, I don't think he gets it. Any one have any tips?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't go into explaining him, "that hurts Mommy," and so on. He doesn't understand that. When he does it, tell him "no", put him down and walk away from him. Next time you pick him up, and he does it again, repeat the process. You might have to do this 1-3-6-9 ....times. Eventually he will understand your body language, and the fact that biting you does not get your attention, it takes your attention away.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• When he bites set him in the floor and tell him that biting hurts mommy and that you can't hold him if is going to bite. Only leave him there for a few seconds and then pick him back up and keep repeating when he bites. It may take awhile but this worked with my DD when she was 9months old and hitting people when she was angry.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• or if that doesnt work i had to pop my son in the mouth a couple times and say that hurts mommy...and he quit.....my dad told me to bite him back lol but i didnt try it...haha
    gl
    mikells_mommi08

Answer by mikells_mommi08 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My son started doing that too. We would say NO at first. If he still bit us, we'd say NO and put him on the ground.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2009