Do you have any experiences with newfoundland dogs? Have you known any?

How were they, how was their temprement?
Good with children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pets

• "The Newfoundland dog is legendarily known for its benevolence and strength. It is known to be one of the kindest and gentlest dogs, if not the very best and gentlest dog of all when it comes to children."

That is what I found on wikipedia. I have known several Newfies and they are really sweet dogs. Supposedly easy to housebreak. I think it would make a great family dog.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• They are super sweet and gentle. But they slober...a lot! lol
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• They're very easy to housebreak, incredibly intelligent and they are WONDERFUL with children.

The only drawback is food/vet costs, and grooming.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 5:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My husband wants one; they're HUGE, sweet and intelligent. But they're working dogs, so they need a job to do, and lots of exercise. They also need weekly baths because they have so much fur, and they slobber a lot. Also, prepare to spend big bucks on the food (I use California Natural for my dog and cats, it's one of the best foods on the market, no corn, no by-products, no fillers). Hubby and I will stick with pit bulls for now, they're just as great as Newfies and also amazing with kids!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My aunt used to have two newfies. They were very sweet, very friendly dogs. I loved playing with them when I was a kid- they were much bigger than I was! The only bad thing is that they are huge so they eat a LOT, and they tend not to live as long as some other dogs.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• HUGE dogs! Friendly but take their toy and run, especially when you are a 5 year old! Been there, done that, got trampled and licked! ahhhh I miss Rigger.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• sorry its supposed to say DONT take their toy
    kc932

• They're excellent dogs - kinda big doofuses. Growing up I knew a girl who had 2. One actually got hit by a car. The dog was fine and walked away - the car needed a new front end. And no, I'm not kidding. LOL
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• The Newfoundland is a fantastic dog with children. It's been nicknamed "the nursery dog" because many homes kept them in their children's nurseries as guardians. This was the breed of dog in the story Peter Pan.

They are sweet, loving, beautiful, dogs, who love the water. They have been known to sacrfiice their own lives to save a drowning person. A really great breed.

However, the Newfie only comes in Big, Huge, and Gigantic. They are very large cuddly dogs with a lot of hair. Grooming will be necessary. They are also susceptible to heart problems because of their large size. If you're looking into getting one, take those things into consideration.
    chrissie79

Answer by chrissie79 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2009