• In the Spotlight:

She buys herself a blender...but buys my daughter a package of baby socks?

Am I just being petty?

Yesterday was my dd's 1st b-day. She is my mil's only grandchild. We had a little gathering at my house, and everyone brought gifts. Mil buys our dd a package of baby socks (retail value $3 at Dollar General). Later on, she brags to the others that she bought a new blender.

Am I wrong for feeling that my daughter got screwed over for her b-day (by her grandmother)? Not that a b-day is about getting gifts, but it was her 1st b-day, and very special.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is a really bad gift and I would be annoyed too. My MIL has never met my dd and we have a horrible relationship but she at least sends thoughtful gifts. I think your MIL could have gotten her a $3 toy instead and that would have been fine. My mom got my daughter socks for her birthday but that was along with clothes and toys.
    I understand how you feel, its hard when you feel like your child is forgotten...it isn't about the gift as much as feeling like your child got put second to an unnecessary appliance.
    Greenesa08

Answer by Greenesa08 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Well if it makes you feel any better x-mas, my DD b-day she got gifts from the $ store.
    Anonymous

• I would be kinda pissed but now you know what kind of person she is I guess!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 3:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• well, maybe she needed a new blender. Who are you to say that instead of spending HER money on something for HER that she needed to spend that money on YOUR child.

Selfish indeed.... feeling entitled much??

Anonymous

• send her the socks back with a note that says if she can't buy her more elaborate and expensive gifts that you don't want to have anything to do with her any more.... I mean its all about the price tag right?

Anonymous

• I don't think that is anything to be upset by.

She is not under obligation to, nor should she out of love - spend a certain amount of money on her granddaughter.
    She may have needed a new blender, and she may have not thought a 1 year old would have appreciated anything more expensive.

It does seem petty to be offended by that, yes.
    Anonymous

• anon 3:58, what the hell could've been more important than her only granddaughter's 1st birthday? making her own daquiris? come on!

if she was going to go to the dollar store to buy her a gift, which there is nothing wrong with that, she should've atleast got her something to enjoy, like a coloring book and some crayons. i'm sure they have some there that would've added up to the $3 socks that you could've bought her.
    Anonymous

• "Am I wrong for feeling that my daughter got screwed over for her b-day (by her grandmother)? Not that a b-day is about getting gifts,"

she didn't "get screwed", and yes, you are wrong.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• OP

She didn't have to brag to her friends about the blender right then and there. Isn't that something that could have waited until AFTER the party?

And NO, it's not about the price tag. I did say that in my question:

"Not that a b-day is about getting gifts"

I just think for her first b-day, she could have thought of something better than a package of socks.

Anonymous

• To put things in a different perspective: she didn't have to get her anything at all. Be grateful for what you did get.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 4:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2009