What can I give my 1 year old for diarrhea?

My son has had diarrhea for the past few days. I know there is nothing over the counter for him but I didn't know if there was any foods or drinks that would help him out. He doesn't seem to be running a fever so I think it is just his teeth.

OneChance

Asked by OneChance at 4:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can try Pedialyte - it prevents dehydration from diahrrea and vomitting.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• BRAT diet. Banana's Rice and Tea.....let him only have those things....and at that age with tea...only use decaf...or else!!!! Avoid dairy and fruit, dairy just irratates it even more and fruit (other than bananas) tend to have a loosening effect! Hope that helps!!! It will take a few hours to kick in.
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 4:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Give him only plain water to drink, and if milk usually constipates him let him have that. No juice, no gatorade, no pedialyte because the sugar makes diarrhea worse. (per our pediatrician)

Let him eat all the starches and carbs he will eat. Don't worry about his nutrition right now...just let him eat all the crackers, breads, rice, pasta, bananas, potatoes, etc that he wants.

Cheese and peanut butter (if he's already had it) are good consitpators, too.

Do not give him anything to eat (or drink) that he has not had before. Now is not the time to try new foods.

Watch for signs of dehydration...make sure his eyes are still moist, he still makes tears when he cries, his mouth is still moist. If not...take him in.

Keep in mind there is a difference between loose bowels and diarrhea. Doctors usually say it's diarrhea if it's watery and happens 6-8 times a day. Still do the above even if it's just loose stool.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Ok, the BRAT diet is Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. Also, there are other GREAT foods that can be given during diarrhea, just be sure they're EASILY digested. Chicken is usually ok, as well as pasta, veggies (aside from corn), potatoes, etc. You can give yogurt, as the probiotics in it are GREAT for recolonizing the digestive tract with beneficial bacteria. Avoid all other dairy though, as well as fatty, greasy foods, especially fried foods. You can give pedialyte to prevent dehydration as well. If it keeps up for more than a few days, call the doc to give a heads up as well. Good luck.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 11:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• BRAT
    bananas rice applesauce toast
    also go to a pharmacy and ask for cola syrup
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• u can use the brat diet there is also childeren imodium my exs mom used this on my dd when she was1 also cheese can help stop it...it binds me up if i eat to much of it
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2009