When did your child know simple words?

I mean words like-of, play,you, that, said, for, is, the, to?

We read to him every day, but sometimes he doesn't seem to pay attention.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• at 24 months children should have a vocabulary of 40-60 words, most children average out at 50 words. Until a child has established this core vocabulary of at least 40 words they will not start to mutter 1-2 word utterances. For example, dada would be a core word vocabulary, dada up would be the next step up in language, and dada up please would be next. All children are different, but if you're child is older then 24 months and doesn't have a core vocabulary (at least 40 words) there's reason to be concerned. By 30 months the average child has well established 1-2 word utterances and should be working on sentences, although very grammatically incorrect (this mines toy meaning that toy is mine). Connector words like the, and, is are not considered important in the development of language and come when the child figures out the "rules and laws" of the spoken language.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Well for about 2 months now my 20 month old has been able to say things like "I want", or "What is dat" or "can I..." or "we go out".
    Not stringing them into a whole sentence, but she has the words.

But like all other ages, you can't compare children, because there is no set date for them to have to have these things down.
    You didn't mention how old your child is, but I'm assuming between 1-2.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• um my kid is 2 and still doesnt use the connector words lol. And he is in speech therapy.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 5:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009