Is it normal to still need to take pain meds?

I'm 4 weeks past my c-section and still taking 2-3 pain pills per day. I'm about to run out and am going to call to see if I can get a refill tomorrow but I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't still be needing them (but I do)...do you think this is normal or should my pain be better by now?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think it's normal, but everyone's different. I think at this point you should be to where you still feel a little bit of pain, but only to a degree where you can handle your day without being in really bad pains.
    I didn't take any pains pills after my c-section, but that's just me, I didn't want to because I was nursing, even though they said it would be fine.
    Another thing you have to remember is to relax. Believe me, I know it's annoying to sit on the couch all the time, especially if you have other kids, and things that need to be done around the house. But you have to take it easy, or the pain will be there even longer.
    If I were you, I would first consider if you really need the pain pills. and if you feel like you do, then call the doctor to ask if he/she thinks it's still normal. There could be other issues, maybe you didn't heal right or something. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 5:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I took them for about 3 months, but I got an infection after my C and had to be reopened. Watch pain pills though, they have be addictive. I never got addicted, but I have a friend who uses them like drugs.
    WyattsMomma7

Answer by WyattsMomma7 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• my son is 6months old and mine still gets sore..but i still have pills left over..i suck dealing with pain but mine quit being so bad after the first week! i know i was told alieve worked wonders too...but if your still hurting THAT BAD you may need to really talk to your doc..that just doesnt sound normal to me..but then again whats normal right?! Your supposed to be pretty well healed up after 2 and in working condition after 6!? whatd doc say after your two week post op?!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• No it's not really normal. Are you a real wuss when it comes to pain? Is it red or puffy? You should not have that much pain unless maybe it is infected. Don't you go back for a check soon?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It's normal. My doctor feels quite comfortable with giving you one refill of pain meds after a c-section. I can't stand the way pain meds make me feel and in the past have NEVER taken them for any other surgeries, but c-sections hurt bad. My dr says that many women need them for the 6 weeks after surgery with c-sections. I was getting worried when I couldn't stop taking them at 4 weeks. But, I only needed them one more week after that. You may find you can quit taking them at 5 weeks too.

Also, you may be over doing it. If you lift or move in ways your body isn't ready, it will let you know. You should not be mopping, sweeping, or vacuuming. Those motions use all the muscles affected from your surgery.

I had 2 c-sections less than 2 years apart and will have my 3rd this December.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2009