• In the Spotlight:

I'm not a bully but am being bullied, how......

How can I stop playing victim, and stand up for myself? (Easier said than done). Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• I used to be such a victim. Not really sure when that change, but it sure does surprise the people who used to make snarky comments if they haven't seen me in a while. Just pretend that the person is insulting your child with everything they say and do. It's a lot easier to stick up for your kid than yourself sometimes, even if it really isn't about your kid just pretend it is in the back of your mind!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 5:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Since I have no idea of the situation of which you speak I will say this...It is easy to tell a woman to leave her man. But this is a huge step, and it takes huge amounts of strength. speaking from experience I found the best thing was to build up strength. make little victories for yourself. I had to try to establish my own independent network of friends for example. This was a small step for me that made me feel more powerful and in control of my own life. Then I decided to only go out to places I truly wanted to go. No compromises. After a while I felt strong enough to say..I don't want to live like this anymore. And I left the control freak. That took everything that I had! But wow did it feel amazing! I found myself again. I am now in the most stable and rewarding relationship of my life..Good luck to you
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It's a state of mind. Either you have to build yourself up for it or you will be pushed to the point that you say to yourself " I'm not gona take it anymore" Plus start putting yourself around more positive people. ( some one that will lift you up instead of putting you down all the time.)
    Been there done that myself. You can do anything , just put your mind to it .
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 5:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• They don't call them victims anymore they call them Targets. It gives a better feel to what's really happening. If you no longer want to be a target then make a plan to make changes. Not sure what your situation is but talk to those who can help you make a plan to change your life so you can be bully free.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It would help to know a little bit more about the kind of bullying you are experiencing.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2009