Dealing with a Bipolar Ex

Never had Bipolar, not sure if disease has an "out of control" level that I should be fearful of this persons personality. From my knowledge, he is on all sorts of herbal remedies to control his situation, but, I also know he holds a grudge against me. Should I be worried/concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• I would just always becareful and watch my back.( if your feel he is holding a grudge against you) Cause with some it could lead into an obession. So you never really know what another persons state of mind is. I would never let guard down around anyone that has a beef againest me. Don't know what help this was but good luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 5:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Bipolar isn't a disease, it's a personality disorder. There is no cure but can be helped with meds. Read "Stop Walking on Eggshells" or maybe even the book "Sometimes I act Crazy" or even "I hate you don't leave me". All good books. There are support groups and site for those dealing with loved ones with BiPolar Disorder

Answer by admckenzie at 5:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Bipolar is a serious mental illness and herbal treatments are not standard medical treatment. If he says he is bipolar but has never actually been diagnosed and seen by medical professionals for this specific mental illness then you may want to question where and how the diagnosis came about. If he is the father of you child you should have information about his diagnosis, as in it would be most responsible of him to provide information to you, since bipolar disorder does have a genetic link. Serious disorder - yes. If my spouse was diagnosed and living with bipolar I would have a plan in place for visits ending or supervised when a depressive or manic phase was in swing. This doesn't mean they will be a bad parent but they do need to have consistant treatment and a parenting plan in place for when it all hits the fan. With bipolar individuals sooner or later it does. Ah...I'm a therapist. Bipolar is not a personality
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• disorder it is a disease. For your peace of mind I would recommend seeing a counselor for yourself, even if it is only two or three times, to get more information (correct) information on this disorder and what to do to help your children when things are not normal for him. It can be very scary for children to see a parent living with diorder and have low and high phases. Confusing, frustrating, and angry.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Bipolar is a disease! I have a bipolar husband who is a nightmare but I also have a bipolar child. They have done eeg's and brainscans on her and shown me that areas of her brain are different than others without bipolar.
    The biggest thing I fight with Mr charming is he goes on and off his meds at will. Then its like a warzone around here.Herbs? Goodluck with that.
    soulsekr13

Answer by soulsekr13 at 6:15 AM on Sep. 12, 2009