Any ideas on making my house less depressing?

I swear the minute I come home my mood changes and my energy level drops.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Is there enough light in the house? That makes a big difference for me.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 5:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You may not agree, but houseplants and cut flowers are what have kept me going. Seriously, I love plants and when I could not get out of the house long enough to have a real garden I had house plants. I baby them, care for them, watch them grow or die. Then in the summer I put a small cut flower garden in near my front door. I cut the flowers and put them in the bathroom or on the table. Amongst the piles of dirty dishes, dirty laundry, explosion of baby toys and half done projects I found solace in the plants. So find a small thing that makes you happy, maybe a plant or pet or knitting or scrap book or some other project you are into and cater to it. Or even have one room in the house that you ALWAYS try to keep looking that way you like...me its the tiny dinning room that we never use (which is why it is clean) I go in there and just stand when the rest of the house overwhelms me..
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Put blue or light yellow hues around the house. Light blue that is. You can just paint one wall or soemthing. Get a bright painting. Bright colors make you happier. Not bright bright but baby blue or sky blue and light yellows and greens.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 5:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Oh and put up pictures of happy times. Vacations, fun days, smiling kids..things like that. Put up signs that make you laugh or make you think of something good.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 5:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• rearange your furniture
    go get a couple new things for your house
    houseplants(i have over 75)
    cut flowers, i get mine at the farmers market
    make sure your not the only one cleaning
    try not to think of "what needs to be cleaned"
    theres always time to clean, and always somehing that needs to be cleaned, but remember to spend lots of time with your kids, they grow up way too fast.. remember to smile and dont be afraid to make yourself happy.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 7:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• bright colours
    lots of light - natural from windows and if you can't do windows there are lights out now that simulate natural sunlight

'happy smells' - cucumber and fruity smells give me a boost.

happy pictures and art on the walls.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I've had this problem before, and I looked into Feng Shui. Your house has negative energy that brings your mood down. How to fix it? The most common cause of negative energy is clutter...not just stuff that's on the tables, surfaces and floors, but clutter hanging on the walls, on the kitchen countertops in the form of appliances, knick knacks on dressers and shelves.....Think about it. When you walk into a hotel room, what is so relaxing about it? It doesn't have CLUTTER. A picture on the wall, nothing on the tables or dressers, etc. Try eliminating some clutter.

Some other things to try are adding green plants in the corners of your room(s) to help soften the harshness. Soft lights in lamps, soft music, even a small fountain or a few goldfish. I had a parakeet and his song and chirps made my house seem brighter.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I would redecorate....paint a room! i like changing wall colors. also i just recently fell inlove wiith those quotes you put on the wall!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2009