Why is it bad to cliff jump?

We went to the waterfall yesterday and it was so beautiful. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and EVERYONE was jumping from the highest cliff and drinking. Me however, just sitting and admiring the view. Eventually I picked a little baby jump and jumped down into the water (I don't know what makes the water so clear and pretty, but it was). I'd say it was about ten feet, is this bad?? I probably only jumped off a few times to cool down while I was there throughout the day.

What is the actual danger of what I did. I know that it's a "no-no" so I'm kind of scared. :/ Someone please explain this to me since I JUST got insurance and couldn't get an appointment till the middle of July.

ours

Asked by ours at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just as with any large fall, the impact of hitting the water can cause you to miscarry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Depending on how you hit the water you should be just fine. pp is right though.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 5:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Thanks, kaycee14 Is around ten feet considered a large fall? I googled it but didn't get much information. I'm not cramping, or bleeding and still have good ol' morning sickness, but I'm not sure if it would even happen right away.

I guess I'm just worried and in need of some hard facts.
    ours

Answer by ours at 5:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I jumped in straight down (my feet hitting the water first). I know this is silly, but is the baby connected to anything that could have been disconnected from the fall?
    ours

Answer by ours at 5:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The only thing you can do is wait and if you start bleeding and cramping or even just bleeding you need to be seen
    Anonymous

• You are probably going to be fine. Darn the people on her are alarmists. The baby is really well protected in there. I wouldn't worry.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I'm not sure of the 10 feet jump or not . But believe it would depend on if you was jared when you hit . I would just watch the next few days for any cramping, things like that.
    Alittle different here but a EX boyfriend one time jumped ( from a much higher height and hit the water and broke his tail bone, was very painful and he knew that right away.)
    Just besure to ask lots of questions when you get to your first appointment on how your doing.The point your at now should hear a heartbeat . good luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 6:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I was walking a very large very hyper dog at work when I was 8 weeks pregnant. He took off running and I hit the ground on my butt and the stupid dog dragged me across the yard about 20 feet before I got up and then he knocked me over again jumping on me! Another employee had to rescue me from numb skull dog. I was convinced that I had just killed my baby by walking this dog. Everything was fine though. All of the above poster are right though. If you landed just right it could cause problems but most likely you will be fine. The baby is in fact very well protected where he/she is at. In fact my MIL's mother fell down a huge flight of stairs while she was pregnant with her and my MIL was fine and that was 48 years ago!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I got pushed off a 25ft bridge at 6 months prego. I felt ok (maybe a lil mad but ok) but my fiance drug me to the doctors. Doc said it (any type of fall above 3ft) can cause you to loose the baby. And depending on your weight and force of the hit can cause trama to the baby. But if you feel ok and dont see any spotting. You should be ok.
    Anonymous

• As PPs have said, if you are feeling fine, then you most likely are. My MIL was like 6-8 months pregnant with her last and was hit by a car while walking. The baby was perfectly healthy and is now 13.
    Ethanmom

Answer by Ethanmom at 9:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009