I have never been camping.... how fun is it.

Is there anywhere in jersey to go camping with my family. I've been reading the blog and it seem like it's pretty common for family to go camping, and everyone sounds excited about it. Please fill me in on planning a camping trip, and what's the fuss about?? lol

dordoo

Asked by dordoo at 6:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Travel

• I personally hate camping. I get sick in High altitudes.... I like my daily showers. Porter Potties aren't Ideal in the least, Neither is popping a squat somewhere. To top it all of sleeping on the ground sucks! Also it seems the smoke from the camp fire is always where you want to sit, or move to. Grrrr! I am definitely not a camping kinda girl haha. I really Hope you like it and have fun though!
    Anonymous

• Oh man! Camping is my absolute favorite pastime! Being so close to nature is the best part! As far as sleeping on the ground you really just need to purchase an inexpensive airbed. I got mine at Wal-mart. And some camp sites have very clean bathrooms,showers and electrical outlets!
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• We love it, but BRING LOTS OF MOSQUITO REPELLENT!!!! And extra books and activities for the kids. I HIGHLY recommend camping somewhere that has a pool or a lake you and the little ones can swim in.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The main problems are the weather and in some places, bugs. Just plan ahead, talk to people who camp and learn from their experiences and listen to their suggestions, Very good with young children as they will have the freedom camping they would not have at a hotel .

You don't have to eat campfire meals all the time, no harm in the occasional restaurant meal, and listen to the weather forecasts so you can flee to a motel if very nasty weather threatens. It is no fun gettig flooded out if you will be sleeping in tents.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Well it depends. You can do "real" deep woods camping (but it doesn't sound like that'd be your thing) or you can do what I call camping "light". There are tons of camp grounds that are basically just glorified fields with bathrooms with showers, pools, theme nights etc. That might be a good place to start. Also, I'd just do one night first and if you hate it you haven't invested a lot of time or money. Here's a good website to help you find a place in your area. Hope this helps!

http://www.reserveamerica.com/
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• it is like being home without the conveniences of being home. no running water. no stove. so toilet. but sometimes it is fun if you are ordained to be camp maid.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• From my experience, women who were raised camping, love it, and women who weren't, hate it.

I've been camping and backpacking my entire life and LOVE it.

Bear in mind that there are different kinds of camping. There's Real Camping, where you hike in and pack light (this is the best. Just you and nature all around.). Then there's Car Camping, where you squash as many earthly possessions as possible into your minivan and hitch up the trailer.

Since you're a beginning, I'd recommend Car Camping. Find a campground that has full bathrooms with showers, fire pits, picnic tables, etc. If you're really nervous, find a campground that rents out cabins or yurts. Locations by the lake are a plus.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009