How Can I find a way to get my house sold fast?

The adoption agency we are working with says that in order for us to get certified we need to sell our house because all the bedrooms have to have doors on them and we have too many slanted ceilings upstairs. Our house has been on the market for over two years and we have had many lookers but no buyers. We still owe on it, but we would really like to move, in order to move things along a little better, but we can't afford to pay on two houses. I just don't know where to go with this! Please help!

Mary67

Asked by Mary67 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• watch HGTV's shows about selling your home. from what I've seen on them you should clear all your clutter, make sure your rooms have a defined purpose, a fresh coat of paint will go a long way and make sure your house is priced right for your market.
    Have you thought about refinancing and remodeling, it may be more cost effective in the long run.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 6:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• have you talked to a realitor about this?
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 6:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• De-clutter, paint the walls, fix anything around the house that needs fixed, and invest in some items to jazz the place up. Then I would have a big open house. I would even try contacting HGTV to see if they can help you with their show "sell my house" or whatever it is. You never know, they may help especially since you are doing this so that you can adopt. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• If your trying to sell it yourself then I would seriously consider getting an agent. if you already have one then you may want to try another when your contract expires. ad have lots of open houses.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 7:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Your house has been on the market for TWO YEARS?!?!? Do you have a link to the listing from the realtor? Maybe the ladies on here can give you some pointers on how to make it more "open house" ready?!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Compare your home to other homes that have sold in the last two years. And find a new realtor

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Drop the price if you really want to sell. We went to a yard sale Saturday and the people said they had three offers over asking price because the price was low for the area. This may not be advice you want to hear but from what I saw it works.
    Anonymous

• you may have to reconsider your situation and the market right now. try swapping houses, there is a website somewhere for swapping or trading houses or just rent it out. i've never heard of an adoption agency asking would be parents to change homes. modification i can understand, but moving out? weird.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Offer incentives like a vacation or the first 6 months of house payments you all will pay (make sure you get enough from the sale to do this though). Declutter. A friend is going to sell his house and he is going to go out and by a 50 inch flat screen and include it in the purchase of the house. Make sure the walls are painted a neutral color (most buyers can't get past the homeowners decoration to see the house). Get a storage unit and clear out the house of anything you don't use. Less furniture makes the house look bigger. Update light fixtures (a big plus!)
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• The same thing that the adoption agency is concerned with it probably chasing off buyers. I wouldn't want a house that doesn't have doors on the bedrooms. Is there a door frame to each bedroom? If so, I'd advise putting doors on all of the bedrooms.

Also, the advice about watching HGTV is a great tip. You can learn so much about home improvement there.

Do everything you can afford to do to make it appealing to buyers. Be sure it's always clean and ready for a showing. If you have a lot of stuff, put some in storage for now. Be sure your closets are tidy and organized so buyers will think your place has plenty of storage.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2009