Sunburn question...kinda from yesterday.

I got aloe vera gel and have been putting it on and I am taking ibuprofen but neither is working. My blisters do not have clear liquid in them, but it has a yellowish tint. Is that normal? And what should I do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Health

• well the only thing I can think of is to keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you drink plenty of water to help your skin heal and so you don't get dehydrated. Try cool compresses just like if you had a regular burn. A washcloth or paper towel wet with cool water. I hope that helps and feel better soon. Sunburns suck.
    Mudfishzgirl

Answer by Mudfishzgirl at 6:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Sorry didnt mean to be anon.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You can also try vinegar, and when I was a kid we used to rub noxema on sunburns. I'd say if it doesn't start peeling or clearing up in a day or so, or if you start feeling ill, go to the dr.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• also put teabags in a warm bath and soak in it for a while the tannins in the tea will help ease the burn adn soften the si and the blisters will start to go away. if in 48 hours you arent feeling markedly better go to the doc you may have sun poisioning and will need medicine for it!
    ps next time use sunblock!!!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Like elananme said if it doesnt get better soon you should go to the doctor becauseyou could have gotten sun poisioning, Which is not a good thing at all!!!
    hope it gets better!
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 7:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• If you have sun poisening you would not be well at all by now. Headache, nausea, fatigue are some symptoms. The biggest side effects from Sun Poisoing is infection and electrolyte imbalance. Lots of water, a LITTLE gatorade, shade and rest are your best bets. For the burn..everyone has their favorite..I used viegar as a kid..don't ask me how putting acid on a burn helps..but it always did for me. The yellowish fluid is normal. DO NOT rupture blisters. They will eventually dry up and tear themselves. At that point infection risk is very low. Solorcaine is a spray yoou can buy that has a topical pain reliever in it. It can be quite effective. If you wind up going to a Dr. ask for Sivadene..it is a a perscription cream used often for burns and open wounds.It really is terrific.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Best tip I got was from a waitress at our hotel. Milk and salt over ice. It will be cold but when I put it on my daughters red hot legs, it took the pain away. I think once your blisters burst, it will heal up. If it doesn't, see a doctor for that or if they don't burst and start to get tough on the outside.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• ps next time use sunblock!!!!
    I did. My doctor said I need SPF 40 plus because my skin is so fair, and I need the lotion. I was using the spray, which he said doesnt penetrate the skin very well. He prescribes some burn cream, told me to drink water and take 800 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2009