Breastfeeding blues

Ok as most of you know (Since I ask a question on here almost daily..lol Being a new first time mom is such an adventure) I have a 3 week old daughter and I am trying to get her to breastfeed. She hasn't been on the breast before now and I don't know how to make her latch on..When she left the hospital she had lost weight and only weighed 5lbs 12 ozs (since she was a month early) and they didn't want me to breastfeed off the breast they wanted me to pump so I could measure how many cc's she was taking in. Cause she needed to eat at least 1-2ozs they said. I was having trouble making the 2 ozs so I would add formula to what I had pumped to make a bottle.. Then after that I found out I got an infection from them leaving parts of my c section incision open and they put me on very strong antibiotics so I couldn't even offer her breast milk from the pump.. Now the antibiotics are out of my system and she won't latch. Any Ideas?

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 7:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she prouble done got use to the bottle after they get ataiche to the bottle nipple it hard to get them back on your breast nipple and you trynn is just a wasteof time

how long did she us the bottle
    ilovewes

Answer by ilovewes at 7:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Obviously, she has been on the bottle for three weeks, as the baby is three weeks old.

OP:

Pumping is deceptive. You can never pump as much as the baby would get if she was actually breastfeeding. But, she may indeed have become used to the bottle. Could you contact a lactation consultant to discuss your problem?
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Call a lactation consultant. ilovewes is an idiot! It is NOT a waste of your time to try and give your baby the best start in life. The LC can help you figure out the latch thing. Most hospitals have one on staff and they can help you. You could call the mother baby unit of your hospital...the number should be in your discharge papers, and ask them where to find a LC.
    If you are wanting to breastfeed then do call a LC they can really help you. Best of luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It is NOT a waste of time! You can still breastfeed your baby if you really want to, it will just take some time and effort to get her used to nursing. Definitely call a lactation consultant or breastfeeding counselor so that you can have some one on one help. In the meantime, I would suggest that you try to help her latch on before she starts showing strong signs of hunger. Waiting until she is fussy or crying will only frustrate her more and make nursing more difficult. Sometimes it is easier to get them to latch on when they are still a little drowsy too. You could also try offering her the breast at regular intervals, like every hour or half hour (try to shoot for just before she usually feeds). And what Jynxx said about pumps is absolutely true! Once your baby is latching on, she will be able to get more out of the breast than a pump ever could, so please don't worry that you won't produce enough. Your body will catch up.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 8:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Don't give up. My son had a terrible time latching and refused the breast at three days old when my milk came in. I kept trying at every feeding to get him to latch. I pumped and gave him breast milk in a bottle for FIVE WEEKS! All of a sudden, something clicked and he got the hang of breastfeeding and refused the bottle, lol! Don't try to get her to latch when she's starving. I would give my son 1 ounce and then try to get him to latch until he started getting upset, and keep trying. Also, a freind told me that Medela silicone nipple shields really help.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I would definately call a lactation consultant. I had difficulties getting my first son to latch. And, unfortunately after months of trying, he didn't take to it. But, if I only knew then what I know now!!!! There are so many resources out there. Like the La Leche League, Lact consultants, and those nipple shields really do work! Hang in there!
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2009