Have you heard the news about Zicam??

Apparently, the FDA has recieved over 100 complaints about consumers who used Zicam nasal swabs and nasal gel LOSING THEIR SENSE OF SMELL! Wow....
Here is a link to the news report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yo3p8xDMAg

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 7:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yikes. That sucks.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I heard this. MY sister uses it all the time for herself and her kids. I mean like everyday, several times a day. Eeep! She isn't going to stop either.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Is it like afrin? Does it it have phenylephrine in it? I always see it at the store but I dunno what it does.

I take pseudoephedrine for my nose issues. I got addicted to the nose spray one time and it's a bitch to get off of. It makes your symptoms worse if you stop using it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I had an allergic reaction to the oral spray...so I've never tried the nasal swabs.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 8:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Answered at 7:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 by: caitxrawks Is it like afrin? Does it it have phenylephrine in it? I always see it at the store but I dunno what it does.

It is a treatment for the common cold. The adversizement toots that if you use the swabs at the first sign of a cold, it reduces the duration of the symptoms.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 8:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• lol.. adversizement was supposed to say "advertisement".

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 8:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Hmm..I use Zicam at the first hint of a cold and it works well for me. No issues. When you use it it is like 3-4 times a day. But you don't keep using it after you are well. Sniffer stioll working fine here. Like most things..take it with a grain of salt.
    When I was a kid they told us saccharin caused cancer...guess what...now they say it doesn't. The science was faulty. If you inject huge amounts of anything into a tiny little mouse SOMETHING is goinna go wrong.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• yeah, but this wasn't discovered by animal testing, GrnEyedGrandma. These are actual people, who have used the product, having a HUGE side effect. I think it should be addressed.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 8:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Gee, that's a big shock!!! A medication regulated by the FDA causing problems? Wow that never happens!!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Gee, that's a big shock!!! A medication regulated by the FDA causing problems? Wow that never happens!!! Gee, that's a big shock!!! A medication regulated by the FDA causing problems? Wow that never happens!!!

Beth - Zicam has never been regulated or tested by the FDA - it was considered "homeopathic". It was not until the complaints came in that the FDA stepped in and made them take it off the shelves.  I personally know someone who has lost their sense of smell due to Zicam.  His sense of taste is also totally off balance as well. 

dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2009