• In the Spotlight:

On a school night what times does your child go to bed, what time do they fall asleep, and what time do they get up in the mornings?

My son will be starting Pre-K at the school systems in August. I am trying to start him on the pre-k schedule here in the next few weeks. He will go to school from 8-2:30 (same as the k-5 grades), and I am wanting some ideas on the time frame. Thanks in Advance!

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My grnad daughter will be in 1st grade, her brother in Kinder. They go to bed during the school year at 8 They have to be up no later than 6:15. School starts at 7:25
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Well, my kids go to bed anywhere between 9pm - 11pm.... but we homeschool & our day starts "whenever we get up"... so that probably doesn't help you much LOL

I'd say shoot for about 9hrs a night. If you have to get him up at 6, bedtime no later than 9... that sort of thing. Then, just adjust it accordingly. If he seems to need more sleep, push it back to 8:30.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My kids get to bed by 8 (I try to heard them that way around 7:45). Sometimes that gets a little later, around 8:15. They should be asleep by 8:30. My girls sare a room and they have been doing this forever (even during the summer), so it works for us. We also are out of the house around 7am, so they are up around 6:30am so that makes a big difference.

Good luck!
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 8:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Both of mine go to bed at 8 on school nights, 9 on non school nights.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 9:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• During the school year mine go to bed at 7pm and usually asleep by 8pm. They are normally up around 6am (no matter when they go to sleep) even though I don't wake up until 6:45. I used to wake them up then but they just started getting up at 6am on their own. We leave the house at 7:35am to walk to school. School is 7:50am-2:20pm for all grades (preschool-8th).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My son is in bed asleep between 8pm-8:30pm...he wakes up at 5:45am to prepare for school. No matter what his bedtime will remain this time until he is a little older.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My DD goes to bed at 8pm during school. We used to live up North - way way up North and her bus didn't come until about 8:30 so we didn't wake up until about 7:45 or so. BUT in TX, they have to be on the school bus by 7:20 so she wakes up earlier. I think the bedtime thing really screwed her up because she was used to getting 11-12 hours every night to getting about 10 every night. I know it sounds like a lot but she was used to getting an extra hour or so. For some reason, it REALLY effects her. She was so tired all the time. During the summer, her bedtime is 9 and she wakes up whenever. :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My daughter is in bed at 7:30pm..we talk and read a book and she is usually asleep just after 8pm. She gets up for school at 6:15am.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2009