i want to quit breastfeeding!! Someone please tell me how.

I can't do it anymore. She will be 12 months in a couple of days. Only, she refuses to drink milk from a cup. how do i do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Introduce a bunch of different types of cups and see what she does well with.. you might have to introduce them several time with different things in them...
    With my son he didn't understand how to use some sippy cups and other worked well. He also wouldn't take water or milk from a sippy at first... but you can try expressed milk in a cup, water, half strength juice... at first my son only took juice. Then recently we found that he likes straws so we got him sippys with straws and he will take anything in those... milk or water
    Some kids even do well with a regular cup with some help
    Once you baby starts drinking pretty well start cutting out a feeding a day and replace it with what she takes in her cup
    With my son I started cutting down at 11 months and we are down to feeding only when I feel full now... once/day or every other
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• What does she drink water & juice from? She won't drink milk from them? Maybe she doesn't like it cold, warming it up might help. I don't really know how to help you, because my milk pretty much dried up after I went to work and I had to stop BF at around 7 months.
    Hope someone else can give you some more helpful advice.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 8:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Weaning has to happen very slowly. If SHE is not ready, then don't push it just cause you are. Remember, 12 months is a minimum. Your best bet and easiest way on the baby (which is very important) is stopping one feeding at a time per week or 2. So if she's nursing 8 times a day, it'll take at least 8 weeks to wean. Don't rush this. Breastfeeding is wonderful for baby's health and emotional well being at any age. Taking it from her will be very tough on her with no benefit. So do it gently.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• jus1jess 12 months isnt the recommended minumum anymore 2 years is, she's really not ready
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 9:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• ==OP== The question isn't whether or not I should stop, or if she is ready or not. Just how. Thank you :)
    Anonymous

• Our bodies and young are made to naturally wean on their own. So you really don't have to do anything. It'll stop when it stops.
    Anonymous

• I'm only at 4mos bfing so I dont have any advice. But I wish people would just answer the damn question instead of telling you to keep going. Jeeze, you made it to 1 year and thats longer than most women.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Drop one feeding per week until finished.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009