For Pagans: Do you think the Gods get upset if you don't call them by name?

Ok, ther reason I am asking this is beacause I don't have an actual name that I call my god's. I just call them Mother and Father. And I haven't really found any god's that I think fit in with what I believe. So, do you think that upset's them or are they just happy that I am acknowledging them?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• -I just have to ask, why would you want to worship a god who gets upset because you called them by a wrong name and a god in which you have to appease? I mean this nicely, I just don't understand it. Jesus does not require us to appease Him. Could you explain? That just seems awfully stressful to me. I DO mean this respectfully, BTW. It's just confusing to me. :)
    Anonymous

• No I don't think they get upset. As long as you speak from the heart and feel from your spirit they understand and are with you always. Remember they are always here.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Anon, I know you are trying to be a butt. I don't really think they get upset. I know my guide isn't upset that I thought for the longest time that he was a girl and I was calling him Michelle (which is close to his actual name which is Micheal). It was just a thought. I know Mother and Father aren't mad at me for not calling them by their names.
    I have just seen some Pagans be so sure of what their gods names are, so I was wondering if they thought maybe the god's would be mad if we didn't call them by their names.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Anon our ways are ancient, they predate Christianity. There is no way you or anyone like you would ever understand our connection to our God and Goddess. We simply went back to an ancient path. One that the crusades attempted to take from us. We are back and reclaiming our history. I do see you being respectful now please do what should have been done centuries ago and respect our differences.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Anon:

She isn't saying that they DO get upset, she's asking if they get upset. :) I could ask you why you would want to worship a God who permitted someone to be mauled by bears, simply because she insulted his hair (or lack thereof)?

I wouldn't want to worship a God who, according to many people, will send me to burn in hell because I think that being gay isn't evil and disgusting.

And I'm not trying to be snippy, just kind of turning it around in another direction, to see if you can see it in a different light. Jesus may not have expected servility, but in many ways, God does, depending on how you look at the Christian faith.

Just as many Christians I know say that God's only requirement is faith in Him, and to do the best you can to be good and free of sin, most Pagans I know will tell you pretty much the same.

I'm and ex-Christian AND a mostly ex-Pagan, btw. :)

And no, OP, I don't. pnw said it better tha
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 8:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think the names are a just convenience for us, to give us a focus. I don't think the Gods care what we call them. They are all One in my opinion anyway, and more often than not I just use terms like Mother Goddess & Father God, Great Spirit, or simply All That Is.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Okay. Thanks for answering my question. Again, I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Sorry if I did. I just wanted to understand and now I understand why you feel the way you do.
    Anonymous

• I do not call the Gods by any-one name unless it's a certain Deity that I am in need to connect with at the time.
    I only call on Goddess & God or Mother & Father God or Lord & Lady.
    I don't feel that the Gods care that we don't use a name for them only that they know that we are
    acknowlegding them and honoring them with our hearts...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I say My Lord and Lady. It is respectful and that should be foremost in your intent. If you have an affinity for a certain God/dess, then by all means use their name and become closer to them. Think of them as more friendly and approchable than a distant Divine Entity. They are more like our family. You use respecful titles and names in family, so just do the same with your God/dess.

The Christians came up with God and Jesus and Jehovah, the ancitent civilizations called then Diana, Hern, The Horned God, Isis, Cerridwen. Names are for us to identify with something that is incomprohensible. It gives us something to hold onto. :)
    NewMom101

Answer by NewMom101 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I believe the respect comes in HOW you deal with the gods. I know my goddess and god bc I feel drawn to and connected to them. But respect in how you call them comes not from the name itself but how you address them. I tend to just think of this as a common courtesy bc I certainly wouldnt want to work with or aid someone who was rude and commanding. Would you?
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2009