What does a miscarriage look like?

I started my period today, but have been spotting brown for about 3 days. I use tampons, and when I pulled my tampon out today, there was very little blood on it, but a lot of...slimy....chunky....things. Like........a greyish fleshy color...and it was....very mucus-y. And....and....like...IDK....I'm sure someone on here has had a miscarriage and can tell me. I put the tampon with the stuff on some toilet paper, and then into a ziploc bag in the freezer. The doctor's office isn't open today, and I can't afford an ER trip for something like that. So my question is....what do you think? Should I even be worried? Or should I just toss the bag because it's normal???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have had two miscarriages. The first one was out of control and I thought everything had passed. THREE MONTHS LATER, a grey, round, hard glob came out. I put it in a ziploc and took it to the doctor. It was the placenta. I had had periods but they were not normal up to that point after that they were back to normal. My second miscarriage, it was a large white mass that passed and I knew what it was. That one was over quickly. I would pay a visit to the doctor in the morning but I don't think it's an ER type situation. If you had an infection, there would be pain and an odor. The doc can run tests on the tissue and determine what it is...it didn't cost much. He will also be able to test your blood and give you immediate answers. I hope things work out for you.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i would go just to make sure, cause if it was a miscarriage i think you have to have a dnc done. to clear yourself from getting an infection. just go to make sure.
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• OP Here.... I read a lot about miscarriage trying to figure out if it is or isn't. And I know people get tired of reading about it. But I'm really worried. Because I normally bleed really bad. (I have clotting issues) And there was almost NO blood. And it's brown. Very very brown. Which I know is old blood. But the greyish slimy clots....That's what scares me. :( I even showed my husband, cause it was that bothersome. And he said to save it and take it to a DR.
    Anonymous

• bump?
    Anonymous

• So....I guess I'll just try to ask again later. I suppose everyone is busy with Father's day. Which is great!!! Honest..... I'm just....I feel sick...I'm so worried. :(
    Anonymous

• There's nothing you can do right now. I had a d&c after my m/c. But you should definitely see the doctor tomorrow. I truly hope everything is ok.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 9:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• if you are this worried, go to the dr. im serious dont take your life in your own hands because of money. go to the er. it could be nothing but it could also be something serious. just go
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• OP here.... I just...I can't see spending that much money for something that may be nothing. Especially when we have a son. And are moving into our own place next weekend. I mean....ER visits are terrible!!! Not to mention...I'm on a sliding scale for payments. So if I wait until tomorrow, it will only cost 20 dollars for an appointment.
    Anonymous

• OP--- My biggest concern at this point...is...what does it look like??? Anyone that's had a miscarriage....what does it look like?
    Anonymous

• If you had a miscarriage that early along, you probably won't have to have a D&C. I've had 3 miscarriages, one at 5 weeks, 7 weeks, and 14. I had to have a D&C after the miscarriage at 14 weeks. A lot of people have miscarriages everyday and don't even realize it, they just think it's their period. If you did indeed have a miscarriage, I am very sorry for your loss. No words can take away your pain. I hope you find the answers you are seeking.
    flounder92

Answer by flounder92 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2009