Is it horrible that my 6 month old still sleeps with us & wakes frequently to quick nurse (pacifier boobie)?

My 6 month old still sleeps with my husband and I and wakes every 3-4 hrs to nurse. I thought when he started sleeping through the night I could move him into the crib but he never got to that point. He naps in daytime in crib but doesnt nap long. He does nap long if I lay with him in bed during day. My hubby and I really enjoy sleeping with him but Im afraid Im enabling him. I hate the idea of letting him cry himself to sleep and just cant do it. I work night shift 1-2 nights a week and that is enough of a struggle for my husband to get him to sleep and go back to sleep when he wakes without having the breast for comfort. Any ideas? I really want to hear from the Moms that also coslept and later on their babies went into their own beds when they were older without any problems......Does that happen?

MommaAmsel

Asked by MommaAmsel at 9:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What you're doing is natural, not horrible. Join some attachment parenting groups. Being there for your child is the best thing for them. We're biologically designed to sleep with our young. Babies sleep when comforted. Nursing is comforting. There's nothing wrong with it. Studies show that co sleeping, breastfeeding, and avoiding cry-it-out is best for the child. Children need to establish security before they become independence. So you're doing fine.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I co-slept with my dd until she was 3. She was done b'fding at 15 months but she was an only child and we didn't see a problem with it. She made the transition to her bed fairly easy. Fussed about it for 2-3 days. We did the same thing with ds but moved him to his bed at 2. He's now 4 and still asks to sleep with us or will come in in the middle of the night. Sometimes we let him and sometimes we send him back to his room. When bedtime comes we tell him to go to his room and he goes no problem and is usually asleep in 5 minutes. I'm not sure if that really answers your question. If it's working for you two I don't think it' a problem.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• kyrie will be one on saturday, we have bed-shared since day one. she just sleeps sooo much better with me/us! plus, she still nurses every 1-3 hrs at night so i sleep better with her right next to me. i have been told by many parents (and read) that babies will transition when they are ready, and most do so without any issues at all. i think it is healthier for baby to be close to mom (& dad), and i believe dd will move into her own bed as she becomes more independent.
    + what jess said ^^
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• and to answer your question, i don't see any problem with what you are doing.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It is wonderful, not horrible!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• If it's working out for you and your family, then it's fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I would let your child learn to sleep on their own. It's easier when they are young.
    simonsmomma

Answer by simonsmomma at 10:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My DD is very alert and so she wasn't able to fall asleep next to me. We kept waking each other up. So now she sleeps in her bassinett next to my bed but during the day in a sling on my tummy. She sleeps so well in her sling and is so calm compared to naps she has had in her bassinett. I think what you are doing epitomises the value and beauty of attachment parenting and I truly wish I was able to do the same. She will let you know when she is ready for change and go from there. To do so before she is ready could cause really unnecessary upset for you both. Babies need to learn that we are there for them before they can even imagine to contemplate independence. And who would want an independent baby anyway... no cuddles :)

Good luck and keep doing what is working for you until it doesn't work and then look for a solution. Don't look for a solution when you are yet to have a problem.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• my daughter is 6 1/2 months old i believe in co sleeping she is also breastfeed im letting her sleep in bed with me until she is done breastfeeding. i think your doing wonderful!!
    dont doubt yourself just because statistics say things should be a certain way you the parent you no whats best !!
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 3:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Thank you all soooooo much for all your replies!!! I feel so much better and Im going to continue to do what feels right- which is love him up as much as possible and let him move into sleeping on his own when he is ready. THANKS AGAIN!!
    MommaAmsel

Answer by MommaAmsel at 12:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009