For those who believe in past lives.....

do you think we always have the same name? I was just thinking about that and was realizing that it would be odd for me to have had Ashley as a name in all the lives I have lived. What do you think?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I do not think we keep the same name.  There are many names that are generational and that fit in some cultures but not others.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Not sure if I believe in past lives, but I doubt we would have the same name if we did. We may have existed across a variety of cultures and times where names would vary significantly.
    I do know that some believe that we are reincarnated with the same people time and time again, though relationships may vary. When my nephew was very young (2 or 3) he repeatedly said that 'before' he lived in a house that was made of stone and every day he would get water from the well for Brianna (another cousin of the same age) who 'looked different but was still her.' It was uncanny how often he repeated this idea and how sure he seemed of it. Now that he is older he no longer remembers but we all thought it was strange!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think that we have different versions of our names. Jennifer, Gennifer, Genivieve... Those go back to the middle ages and I am sure that it will continue to change over time. I believe in past lives and that we take some of the knolwedge from the past with us, not all of it gets lost in the Summerlands!
    NewMom101

Answer by NewMom101 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No, I don't think so.

Wish we did, though! Sure would make it easier to keep track of them all & what we did, where we lived, how we died, etc that way, wouldn't it? lol
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No, I didn't have the same name. I know that. I have a few memories here and there and I'm working on remembering more... I didn't have the same name, although I guess there is always a chance you could, but it would just be coinsidence. With all the new names being created all the time there would be no way for people to have the same name as past lives, there are just to many choices at this point.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We incarnate in successive eras of humanity's development - in general there are centuries between incarnations because that's how long it takes for new conditions to be in place. (Lately, I think it is quicker, since the world is changing more rapidly. For example, 11th century English life was quite similar to 12th century; but the 1870's were very different from the 1970's !! )

Our individuality is what reincarnates, not our personality - personality arises from the meeting of our eternal individuality with the body and circumstances we are born into.

So, we have different names; we switch off being male / female. Those to whom we are connected often incarnate at the same time, so a former fellow warrior may this time be your sister, or a previous brother may this time be the nurse who saves your life.

Your child in this life may have been your mother in a previous life, or may have given his life to save yours

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No, but mostly because I believe that we can reincarnate as different genders and species.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• NO. Because we can switch genders from time to time.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No - I don't think we are the same persona at all, not in the very least.
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 8:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009