Can anyone relate?

I have spent the last 4 yrs of life trying to undo what my parents had done. I grew up in a negative fam. Once I realized this I made it a goal to correct my personality & outlook on life. I have taught myself how to be positive, smile, be happy, content, etc. All things I never knew before. I have come a long way but still have some more work to do when it comes to stress, over reacting, etc. It seems like my journey never ends & gets me slightly depressed sometimes. My question is does anyone else out there understand this? Has anyone else had to do this to themself? I know to some this may not make sense but I just want to know if I am the only one who has had to do this terrible journey. I am not looking for pity that is the last thing I want just curious if someone can relate thats all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Health

• I had a horrible childhood and I try everything in my power to be a different person and not to be a product of that envorment because I easily could be. I took a different path and learned from what I saw and did the opposite. Now that I am 30 I still catch myself acting like someone in my family talking like them, but I do catch myself and know what I am doing and then turn it around. I know it will always be some what of a struggle but I have over come a lot! So yes I totally understand what you are saying. PM me anytime!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I can. PM me whenever. I've made it a personal goal not to be like my family. I love them, but they are not the people I want myself or my child to be like. Family gatherings are very stressful. Hubby helps through a lot of it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I can as well. My family wasn't negative but my father expected greatness from both my brother and I. Second wasn't good enough and anything we did was mediocre. In addition, he was very pessimistic. I have had to do just what you are doing, and I am even in counseling now to try to work through some of the issues I am having. All I can do is be proactive and realize that just because he controlled my life when I was younger doesn't mean that I have to continue the path of destruction. I don't want to be that way for my daughter or my husband. Just know that you are not alone and that you are taking the steps that you need to in order to improve your life. Keep up the good work!

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 9:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• When I was growing up it seemed that my mother could never keep her mouth shut.When it came to a negative remark againist my father.My mother was undiagnosised bipolar when my brothers and I were growing up.So we never knew what to say or do that wouldn't make her yell at us and say mean things.We grew up talking and thinking just like her.When we moved out we knew we sure didn't want to be anything like her.Instead of fallowing her lead,we went to college and have good carreers.We also have become stronger people,enable to stand up for ourselves.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2009