How much should she?

How much and how often should my 8 mo daughter be eating? (baby food) Should it be 3 times a day? It has been a while since my DS was eating baby food..........

airforewifenmom

Asked by airforewifenmom at 9:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• heres what my "your babys first year, week by week" book says for 8months...
    6-8months 3-5feedings/day of breast milk or formula. 6-8oz. 2feedings of infants rice or barley cereal 2-4tablespoons each feeding. 2feedings of fruit, 2-3tablespoons each feeding. 1feeding of fruit juice, 3oz juice;3oz water. 2feedings of vegetables, 2-3table spoons each feeding...
    hope that helps! i also have 8-12months if u want it
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Not much. Her primary nutrition should be from milk. There's no "should" with solids this early. You don't have to give her anyway. It's best to wait til around a year. It'll save you money and her tummy to wait.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• when my ds was 8 months he ate 1 stage 2 jar of baby food for breakfast lunch and dinner, and he also had a little of whatever i was eating and lots of little snacks such as gerber puffs, or baby cheese doddles and that kinda thing, hope that helps!
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 9:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• and im not trying to sound rude so please dont take it that way, but jus1jess, my sons pedi told me waiting to long such as a year can actually hurt them not help them, they get used to a liquid diet and have a much harder time switching to regular food, though my docter could be full of sh*t but thats just what i was told
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 9:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Never wait until a year to start solids. That is TOTALLY incorrect and actually very dangerous. Babies need solids from 6 months as their iron stores start to deplete and for the experience of eating. You risk huge developmental delays if you dont start solids until 1 year old. True, BF or FF should be the main part of the diet but solids are incredibly important too.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You don't have to wait til a year to start solids, but there's no need for solids til then. 6 months is the MINIMUM for when you may start solids safely. Iron isn't an issue. My DD was EBF for a long time w/ no iron issues. Solids are for play and texture before a year, not nutrition. They don't need them. Holding off is best for their gut, immune system, and allergy risk.

serenaxxmarie, drs really aren't the people to go to about nutrition. IDK why they give out nutrition advice is they're not nutritionists. But no, 1 yr on liquids only isn't long enough to give the baby a hard time taking solids. It's human nature to learn to chew. It's baby nature to wanna do what their parents are doing. lol So this doesn't get in the way of them eating solids later. My DD didn't get ANYTHING but b-milk til 10 mos old. We started finger foods. It's not like swallowing purees in infancy is gonna teach them much about how to eat anyway.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I wanna add that the time to start solids is when kids have teeth, self control, chewing ability, and no more tongue thrusting reflex. If babies NEEDED solids, they'd be born with all their teeth. Purees are a man made way of speeding things up.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2009