• In the Spotlight:

why so fussy!? plz help!

Today my son (almost 7weeks) has been more fussy than normally! Hes been sleeping quite a bit too. The past few hours its just non-stop whinnyness & crying. Also he hasnt ate that much today either. He normally eats about 4oz every 2-3hours, and today hes only finished 1, 4oz bottle since 4am, all the rest of the bottles hes only ate about 2oz. Ive given him gas drops several times so i dont think its that. Hes pooped 3times so i dont think its that. He wont take more milk, so i dunno?! I normally dont let him sleep after 6, but im letting him now to prevent him from crying i just pray he sleeps tonight! Any ideas on whats wrong with him!? Advice/help is much appreciated! Thanks ladys!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It may be colic. Try just milk and no bottles. Most babies don't sleep through the night anywhere near this early; my daughter was 8 months old before she slept six solid hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• maybe he has colic? my little boy had it and i would have to put mylicon in his bottle at every feeding bc he had it bad and it worked.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• sounds like maybe he's just out of sorts?? Like maybe he's begun a different routine somehow and he's trying to adjust??
    Anonymous

• he usually sleeps bout 4hours between feedings at night. n we give him gas drops by mouth. hes never been this bad
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• maybe a growth spurt? it's also possible that he could be teething. possible ear infection as well. maybe you could call your doc. have you checked his temp?
    Anonymous

• My daughter would do this on occasion. Only a few times in her short 4 months of life. I think its just a normal baby thing. By the next day, she was back to her old self. I would always worry about her getting enough to eat but she seemed okay by the next day. Good luck.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You baby is currently in a "wonder week " where his experience and understanding of his world is going through major changes. It can wreck havoc for little ones and all the things you have listed are really common during this time. Do an internet search to check out some info online for wonder weeks. They have some free online and then a book you can buy. This is the wonder week for the WORLD OF PATTERNS and can last anywhere from 7.5 weeks to 9.5 weeks.

Let him sleep, he will eat when he needs and CUDDLE HIM

I bought the book and it has helped me to understand my DD so much better when she is going through a wonder time. It also helps you to see it from the baby's perspective. The fussiness and the whining doesn't seem so bad after that... you just want to do what you can to help.

Any of the symptons you list don't sound like colic or gas at all so don't go giving his tiny body medicines that he just doesn't need.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I would say that as long as hes having normal bowel movements and he looks like hes keeping his weight up that hes probably just still trying to get used to a routine. My daughter took about 2 1/2 months before she was eating & sleeping on a schedule. As far as crying goes, a swing was what i used to get my little girl to calm down when she would get fussy, somehow the movement would soothe her. & I would think twice about giving him the gas tablets, if his tummy's not hard then i dont think it would be gas. Good luck hope you find the solution!
    MommaMallory

Answer by MommaMallory at 12:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2009