What would you do?

Big babies run in the family. I am talking 11 pounders. Everyone thinks I am huge, I have been asked a few times if I was having twins -.- And my last ultrasound (33 weeks) he was measuring 5 lbs 8 oz (the weight of a fetus in the 35th week). Now I know that can be off...but with the family history I am worried. I do not want to have a C-Section. I am currently36 weeks. Would you get induced as soon as they could allow it, or wait until the baby comes on its own and risk C-Section? Is a large baby even a "medical" reason for induction? I would think so.

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• large baby is not a medical reason to induce i already tried that i am 37 weeks and they said my baby is over 7 lbs i am not due til july 11 but having a section on july 3rd i want to have her earlier but they wont do it, you do what you want its your body and baby if u want to wait then wait if not talk to ur doc and see what he says
    Anonymous

• at 37 weeks they are considered term babies you need to do everthing you can to get that big watermelon out of you i feel bad for you...good luck talk with your dr though.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i was almost 11 lbs when i was born. my mom had to have a blood transplant when i was born, i cause her so much damage. big babies also run in my family, as well as my SOs family. and my dr refused to induce me for that reason alone. my DD was 8 lbs 0.3 oz. and was born almost 3 weekd before her due date. i cant even imagine if we had let her come naturally.
    but i seriosuly doubt your dr will induce just because you think the baby might be big. there wll probably have to be other reasons as well
    prd2b_calledmom

Answer by prd2b_calledmom at 10:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My husband is 6'8'' and was over 10lbs when he was born. So I am pretty sure that I am not going to have a 6lb baby. For that reason, and some others, I am going to a midwife. People seem to forget that its perfectly natural to have a 10lb baby and a 20 hour labor. My midwife has felt me inside and out and said my hips are big enough to handle a large baby. If you want to induce to ge the baby out early then that is your decison. I don't think a c-section should be preformed unless there is an absoulute medical emergency. But that is up to you. It is all what you think you can handle
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Both my brother and I were so big that we got stuck and our hearts stopped, thats where the c-section came in, and I don't think that is our body handling 10 pound babies well =\
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2009