Has anyone ever tried this method to get baby to sleep and was successfull?

As soon as they begin to get drowsy or their eyes get heavy, put them gently into their crib. If they fuss, respond immediately and try to soothe them in the crib. Do this by patting or stroking them or gently shaking the crib, perhaps while singing softly or whispering to them. If they don't settle down quickly about 20 to 30 seconds then pick them up again. Walk with them, talk to them and watch closely for them to get drowsy again. As soon as this happens, put them down again. If they again start to fuss, respond as before and try and soothe them in the crib. If this doesn't work, then pick them up and once again soothe them in your arms until they begin to fall asleep and then just before they do put them down again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just depends on what age. Once my kids were about 5 months or so I let them cry it out....
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 10:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• yep! It worked for my son! :)
    Anonymous

• No. I used the Ferber method.
    simonsmomma

Answer by simonsmomma at 10:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Thats what we did when we switched from cosleeping to his own crib at a year old. It took a few days and he now goes to bed awake with no problems.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Sounds good. You are supposed to put them down when they are drowsy, not sleeping, so they don't wake up and not know where they are (like they fall asleep in your arms and wake up someplace else). I did that when my dd was younger.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I have heard that this is the way u are supposed to do it. As Indygirl said so they know where they are as they are falling asleep. Personally I feel its a better way then the cry it out method but we just didnt feel comfortable w/ that one.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• We tried that method and it didn't work for our son... we are now doing the Ferber method at 11 months and he is doing MUCH better with this... but maybe it's just because he is a couple months older now
    Picking him up and putting him down just made him so angry and made the process longer... now he falls asleep within 10 minutes and isn't waking up at night as much either (tonight is night 3)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• This is a beautiful and really nurturing way to slowly help you baby to sleep on their own. This is how my DD and I do it at night and she sleeps 11-12 hours. Now the only thing I have to do is wean her off swaddling but the above way is lovely and gentle. It may take longer though to work than some other methods but I believe it is the best for both mother and baby. Good luck. Check out Elizabeth Pantley's book for more info
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Usually my DD goes down real well. But if she's fussing, we use the CIO method. It only lasts maybe 10 min before she starts to babble and then falls asleep.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009