Has anyone ever had an epidural done for chronic lower back pain?

If so, did it help?
How many did you need?
If they work at relieving the pain, how long does it last (weeks, months, years) before you need them again?

I have chronic lower back pain that none of the other treatments have helped and the epidurals are my next option so I was wondering about some things from another person's experience.

Thank you.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 10:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Health

• My sister has had two. The first one lasted a few months but the second one didnt' do her as much good...it only lasted for a few weeks.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The shot made my leg numb..I had only one shot..Because I did not like the effect it had on my leg..Being numb all the time.

Answer by louise2 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• my MIL had 3, it lasted a couple of days the first time, but each shot the relief got less and less
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 10:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I have had 4 done, and NONE of them worked. They wanted to keep doing them on me, but after 4 not working that would be the definition of insanity to me to keep doing them. Now they want to do a facet joint injection in my spine and see if that works. I go for that August 3rd. Do they know what is causing your lower back pain? I have 4 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. Try it because its a 50/50 gamble that it'll work for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Nope but an epidural caused my chronic lower back pain.  Have you tried going to a chiropractor?  It worked for me.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Thank you everyone for your answers. I had a diskectomy several years ago that was also causing pain to my sciatic nerve down my left leg and I woke up paralyzed from the lower waist on down one morning. Before that, I had gone through years of physical therapy and chiropractors and none of them worked. The surgery helped, but the pain never completely went away and last year it continually became worse. I went to my doctor who ordered x-rays and they showed osteoarthritis at the surgical site. I went to an orthopeadic and he ordered a MRI and that showed the osteoarthritis more clearly, many spurs, and nerve damage, so he sent me to a pain management doc.
    He calls it facet syndrome and he gave me two facet joint injections, a SI joint injection, and gave me a diagnostic nerve block injection to see if I qualified for denervation - none of them worked.
    (Con't)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• (Con't)
    When I first started going to him he always told me how bad the area looked on my films. After the diagnostic nerve block injection was done and it didn't work he actually told me that my amount of pain didn't match what he sees on the films. I was so angry! I told him to talk to the people who see me struggle with my pain everyday and he just brushed me off.
    So now the plan is to go forward with the epidurals and I wanted to know more about them.
    I don't take any narcotic pain meds because I care for my live-in infant granddaughter and I am a full time college student so I need to be mentally aware at all times. I take up to 800mg of ibuprofen every 3-4 hours when the pain becomes unbearable. he offered me a prescription, but I turned it down and I'm wondering if he thinks i'm faking the pain now because I refused the meds even though I explained my lifestyle to him.
    Thanks for listening to me.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2009