• In the Spotlight:

Do you believe some music can really be evil?

This was inspired by the electric guitar post....but I'm not calling out the OP or anything like that. It just made me think more about the subject of music and religion, that's all.

I know many people think certain music is "evil" or "of the devil". Many even think some instrumental music is evil, even if it doesn't have any negative lyrics. I don't understand this. So my question is, how can one sound frequency be evil and another not?

The way I see it, certain sounds have been associate with the scary parts of movies and thing like that....but I've found if you stop associating those things together in your mind, then the music doesn't sound negative anymore. It brings any emotion you want it to.

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope, not at all. Even the songs with "evil lyrics" ~ I've written a few of those myself ~ are a way of dealing with emotions.

It's therapuetic to put your feelings & frustrations on paper. Any psychologist will tell you that ~ write a letter & never send it ~ that sort of thing.

If you're just a plain 'ol writer, you might just keep a journal or folder of these unsent letters. If you're a poet, you may have a box full of "dark" poetry. If you're a musician ~ brace yourself for a shock here ~ you write a song about it.

I applaud artists you write deep/dark songs and put them out there. That's really going out on a limb and showing their vulnerability to the world. If it helps someone who might not be as good with putting words on paper deal with what life's thrown at them ~ bonus.

I LOVE Slayer, Pantera, Tool, etc. I also use humane mouse traps & harmless pest repellants. Yup, devil music turned me evil.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I know the devil uses every tool available to manipulate minds and to gain control of our thoughts.
    So yes I know that music is a form of manipulation.
    Praise Jesus!
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• But why do we associate different sounds with good and bad? It's just sound. A beautiful relaxing church hymn can be made on the exact same instrument as a death metal song. In fact, as my fiance who plays guitar showed me, you can take the same death metal SONG, change the distortion on the guitar and how fast or slow it's played, and make it sound calm and beautiful! So what's the difference?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• yes. church music to me is very evil. i cannot stand it.
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 10:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• LOL zombie....I agree. That kind of stuff makes me really uncomfortable and anxious....because of the association with having to go to church and feeling trapped. I think it's all association and has nothing to do with the actual music.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think we can have good or bad associations with different music- doesn't make the music itself good or evil. It's a neutral stimulus that we bring our own baggage to, just like most other things!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I don't believe any music in itself is evil. The lyrics can be but not the music.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Music evokes emotion, which is completely open to interpretation..also completely makes a movie.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I completely second Freela's answer.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• well..how to answer..I'm a firm believer in God, but I love rock music, White zombie, Marilyn manson, u name it.... Does Manson's music sound evil? Perhaps to some, i mean people protest his concerts. Has he made alot of money off of it? Yes he has, im not saying he's a sellout (maybe now, a little), but do i want to go out and kill or worship satan when i hear his music? Not at all. It's allin ur mind, if u are predisposed to being evil, maybe the music might help u. Sometimes it's good tolisten to angry music when ur angry, because someone else is expressing ur feelings for u, then u feel better about it..maybe thats just me. But in any form music is an art. Do i look at salvador dali's paintings, and decide it would be cool to melt a clock, or get naked? No...if music or anything besides ur own mind is telling u to do something immoral, u need meds, plain and simple
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2009