I do not want my son watching wrestling, how can I get my father-in-law to understand or respect my wishes?

4 yrs ago I sent my in-laws an email nicely explaining why I did not want my then 2 yr old son watching wrestling. He is now 6 and just got off a 20 min phone call with my father-in-law about wrestling; when bringing it to my husband's attention he pretty much told me to get over it????? What do I do?? If I ever go against my in-laws it starts a fight??!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• My In laws are way into it also. I think its extremely trashy! My Child will not be allowed to watch it either. My Hubby is the kind that just agrees with me haha so I don't have to argue much about it, but I would kindly take the phone from my son and tell his grandparents they need to change the subject or end the conversation. He is not their little boy he is yours and your hubby really should respect your wishes! Whenever they bring it up I'd change the subject or walk with my son out of the room. Until they respected MY wishes over MY child I wouldnt let them be talk with him until I knew they would follow what my rules are
    Anonymous

• Then let it cause an argument. You have the right to expect your wishes to be followed. I'd call my father-in-law & ask for a meeting then plainly state that if it continues your son won't be allowed to spend time alone with him. I'm sure your husband is using the 'Boys will be boys' excuse, but the fact is that he should be backing up your decision regardless of if he agrees or not. If you live close by to your in-laws have a face to face meeting so that the fighting doesn't get out of control as easily as it would if you aren't looking at the other. It's to easy to fight other wise. Don't allow a stronger personality to over run what you want when it comes to your children. Good luck.

Cin53

Answer by Cin53 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It sounds like your husband doesn't mind if his son watches wrestling. Since he is the one who told you to get over it. You are making a big deal out of nothing. Kids always have different rules at their grandparents house.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think it is important for kids to bond with their grandparents...that probably overrides the whole wrestling issue. I am not crazy about wrestling, but for a while all the kids in my son's grade were talking about it all the time and really enjoying it, so....I let him watch it. No harm done. (The only thing you have to do is make sure the kids know that the wrestling moves they do are fake because if they actually do that stuff to each other they can get seriously hurt....) Your husband doesn't mind and he is a parent here too. You can't control everything in your child's life....and how great is it for your son to have something to relate to his grandfather over?!!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2009