Why homeschool?

I noticed many Mom's on here mention they home school. What is your #1 reason for doing it?

teampalmer4

Asked by teampalmer4 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• It just happens to work for our family. It's not for everyone. My dd is 15 and will graduate a year and a half early because she is able to go at her own pace rather than the states. It has nothing to do with religion in our case. She's able to spend as much time on a subject she is actually and sincerely interested in. We have always left the option of attending public school open. We don't consider it to be "us against them". Like I stated before, it works for us.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 11:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Better teaching. one on one with student and teacher on top of parent child quality time. No worrying about other kids blowing up the school or a hostage situation(cause people are savage now days). if the child has a medical condition its not a constant worry on the parent. Dont have to worry about one of the teachers or students molesting your child. to name a few
    Anonymous

• I will be homeschooling my son because I think that I can give him a better education than a teacher with a classroom full of students. One great benefit of homeschooling is that your child can move ahead in a subject that he/she excells in or repeat a subject if needed.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 11:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My number one reason is because even though he knows all he stuff they are already doing in Kindergarten they won't let him in because his birthday is in Oct. not August. I will homeschool him for Kindergarten then 1st grade (there's a birthday cut off for first grade too) and then he will attend public school with his sister starting in 2nd grade.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• More focus on education than all the other distractions and dangers of public schools.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• In a nutshell ~ it's better for my children academically & socially.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Because I don't want the government deciding what my kid gets taught. Plain and simple. I can leave out any of the politically correct crap and teach the important stuff.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I can't stand when SAHM with NO DEGREE think they can teach better than someone that spends 4+Years in College. Also children need to learn how to deal with peers, rejection, etc. it is what makes them into a responsible adult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Anon. 1:57 Have you ever learned anything about homeschooling, or are you so dilusional that you are actually believe a stranger can teach your child better than you, if you why not have someone else raise your kid while your at it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Also children need to learn how to deal with peers, rejection, etc. it is what makes them into a responsible adult.

And that happens once in a while in public school, at some point between the 2 hrs of lining up and being hushed, the 2 hrs waiting for other kids to be disciplined, the hour of lunch and recess and the 30 minutes of instruction time. Course, it happens all day when you homeschool.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2009