Trying to encourage weaning.. Need a little guidance?

My daughter is 9 months old, and she does hold an interest in food, but she is still primarily breastfeed. She sits down with us at every meal with a plate of her own, so she can try "adult food" at her own leisure. She already has her upper and lower incisors, so she can chew fairly well. Mostly she is really into food that she can hold - like carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, pretzels and crackers.

All in all though she still isn't really interested in adult food. She loves some things, like grapes, limes and french fries, but she always turns back to Mommy's breast for the real meal.

I don't want to try and rush her, but those teeth hurt (ouch!). Is there anything I can do to encourage her to try more solids?

Kleotide

Asked by Kleotide at 11:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Really NOT a good idea to encourage more solids...she'll miss out on vital nutrients. The solids are NOT as important as your milk.

Instead...teach her not to bite. FIRST...never nurse AFTER solids...only right before. SOIlids follow nursing, all the way to the first birthday. Too many solids is a frequent cause of biting.

Then....use three strikes. Bite one...unlatch and say no. Repeat on bite two. Bite three...mealtime is over for five minutes. Walk away.

Hunger is an amazing teacher. WHen she learns biting means she doesn't eat...the biting stops.

You really CAN'T encourage her to try more solids in any event. She'll do it when she's ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I totally 100% agree with Gdiamante, she knows what shes talking about...solids aftr nursing and 3 strike rule works.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Thanks for the input. :) It's good to know what I should be doing, and that I am not completly off track.
    Kleotide

Answer by Kleotide at 4:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009