My 2 year old snores loud

I'm sure plenty kids snore but my son's snoring sometimes make me wonder if he'll have to get his adenoids removed. Anyone been through that? I'm not majorly concerned at this point but any tips for things to look out for would be helpful.
Thanks!

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if its that bad, ask for a referral to see an eye, nose ear doctor. they will look at his tonsils and decide if he should have a sleep study. from there that will determine if the tonsils come out, the adenoids they won't make the decision on until they are removing the tonsils b/c they can't see them until they are in there. as far as what to look out for, do you think he stops breathing at any point in his sleep? does he sleep ALOT? is he still tired after sleeping? where is he at with his speech compared to other children? does he prefer softer foods, compared to meats etc? these are all things my daughter did/had problems with until she had her tonsils and adenoids removed last year, she was 26 months old when it was done. since then she doesn't snore, she sleeps less (b/c its not interrupted by snoring/apnea) she is more awake after a full night sleep, her speech has almost caught up to her age etc.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I would definitely talk to the pediatrician about this one. There may be a problem here and you do not want him to have serious sleep problems.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think you do need to take him in to see a doctor. Snoring is caused by the partial collapsing of the throat and a child so young shouldn't be having this much trouble. I think you should be concerned about this and get him in sooner rather than later. This is a problem that never gets better. It only gets worse!

Cin53

Answer by Cin53 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• This is for sure something you should go to the doc about... i don't know much about adenoid issues, but i do know that it is possible for a child even this young to have sleep apnea. it is a seemingly simple snoring issue, but it restricts oxygen to the lungs and in turn to the blood and is terrible for the heart.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 12:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• check with an ENT! my son was the same way and ended up having both tonsils and adenoids removed but he had 75% blockage. go to an ENT not the ped unless you have to get a referral from there
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Hi! While he is sleeping try the chin up position. The pillow should be between his lower head and lower shoulder. Don't let him to sleep on a bow position.
    Donna2778

Answer by Donna2778 at 4:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My duaghter had her adenoids removed for ear infections along with getting tubes. It really wasn't that bad. Snoring isn't a good sign though, so check with yoru doctor. It could be allergies or swollen adeniods or tonsils. If he does go to surgery, try not to worry. It's a quick procedure and my 2 year old was only on tylenol for a few days and was eating fairly soon after surgery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my son got both of them out n tubs put in becasue of him not talking but it adenoids were bad n now he dont snore no more get a ear nose doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2009