I want to stop nursing NOW!

I really want to stop nursing! the sooner the better I my husband and I haven't slept well or together sence my son was born 7 months ago! I've had to cosleep to keep him happy and I've finally reached the end of my rope. I want my boobs and my bed back! Any hints tips or ideas would be awsome.

lucansmom

Asked by lucansmom at 11:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD is a year now and I'm weaning her. I only nurse her in the morning and at night. My boobs are definitely producing less. I haven't had any discomfort. Just start introducing formula and your body will start producing less.  You can probably find better tips at kellymom.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Well can you try to pump some milk for the night just to get the baby ust to bottles? Try Playtex the disposable bottles! Breastfeeding can be really rough. And maby after you get the baby ust to bottles you could fed him/her cereal right before he goes to bed and maby the he will sleep all night.

Anonymous

• 7 months isn't very long. Just try to redirect your attitude. Don't look at co sleeping and nursing as a bad thing. They're natural parenting bonding tools. Formula bottles and a crib will only get you more sleep deprivation. Breastfeeding and co sleeping have been proven best for baby. Do you really want to take that away form him? Do you really think it'll make much difference for you. Babies (no matter where they sleep) come with sleep deprivation and stress. Adding formula, washing bottles, walking to the crib, and all this other night work will only make things harder. If he's happy, you're fine. There's no need to change anything. And there's no easy safe way to just stop nursing or get him out of your bed. These things are meant to happen gradually at the child's pace.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• All of our babies like the Target brand formula, we tried the expensive stuff and they didn't like it. If your baby wont take a bottle ( my last one refused ) try a sippy cup. I was desperate with our last and just when I felt there were no other options left.... we tried the cheap plastic throw away sippy cups that had been sitting in our cabinet from when my other boys were little. He was almost 3 months at this point and he took it right away!!! We had tried EVERY nipple and bottle out there. He only liked the sippys with out the valves. Once your little one takes a bottle or sippy then slowly reduce feeding. You could stop cold turkey but that can be really painful.
    Poledancemama

Answer by Poledancemama at 12:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If you think that it is time to stop breastfeeding, then do it. Start giving the baby the bottle more often and sub with formula. I started out brestfeeding all three of my children and stopped at different times. Bottles can be frustrating, but so can brestfeeding. If you slowly replace the breastfeeding with the bottle, you won't have the swelling and pain that you will if you stop too fast. Go with your own pace though.
    AprilHansen

Answer by AprilHansen at 12:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I hope he refuses to take a bottle!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• That's kind of selfish. I agree with jes1jess. You're only going to cause more problems with your sleep. Number 1, you have to try to transition him to the bottle. Good luck with that one! Number 2, it takes some time trying to get the baby to sleep alone. Number 3, imagine combining that. Sounds like instead of being a 24 hour breasturant, your turning into a twenty-four hour insane asylum. You only have five more months to go before you can just drop the boob altogether without dropping the boob and forcing nasty formula on him.

I, too, hope he refuses the bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Just want to add ..my DD never took a bottle she would only take a sippy cup at about 6mos.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with jus1jess.

Also, these demands you are making on your child is kind of selfish. Your baby grew inside of your womb for 9 months and is used to the comforts of his mother. That is what a mother is for. Your still going to have to wake up and make bottles, walk to his room/crib everytime the baby needs you, try to get him to go to sleep on his own before he is ready, and spend extra money. You are also going to have a baby that is getting sick more often because he is no longer recieving antibodies from your milk. Your baby will probably also have tummy aches because of the formula which is harder for your baby to digest.

Truthfully you don't even need to give your baby nasty formula, you can just start introducing solids at 7 months. There is absolutely NOTHING that your baby needs from formula that is not already in your milk and in solid foods. It's actually a downgrade in quality and nutrients.
    Panya81

Answer by Panya81 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ignoring your child when they cry is stupid. Your child could have a stomach ache or something, so suggesting that is just silly.

There is also no rule that says how long a child should be sleeping at a certain age, everyone is different, and yes, all babies are different too.

If you are worried about your sex life and co-sleeping. Find another room to have sex in when the baby falls asleep. There is no rule that says you have to have sex in your bed.
    Panya81

Answer by Panya81 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2009