Castor Oil Dilemna!

OK, first off this is gonna be several questions rolled into one... I am 39 wks 3 days prego and MISERABLE! swollen feet, face, hands.. can hardly bend over, can't breath at night and this baby is HUGE.. no kidding! I want to take it, but am a complete over analytical person and needs some swaying in this area, my DH says "take it.. He' s only gonna get bigger the longer you wait" I have a friend who just took some last week and she had hers 12 hours later.. so, this makes it even more enticing.. HELP!

Should I?
Will it hurt the baby?
If I do it.. How much?
What do I put it in (food? Drink? MilkShake?, Etc.)
What time of day is best?
Has anyone done it and regret it ?? Thanks!

Mom2Meredith

Asked by Mom2Meredith at 11:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I was pregnant with my two boys (ages 3.5 and 3.5 months). I asked with both of them. I was sooo ready and in the same situation as you. Her words that it will not hurt you or the baby. She said it could trigger it but it is not a know fact (?) she said what most women feel when they take this is digestive (forgot what she called it) when you have to go #2. she said it makes your stomach cramp cause it is also used as a laxitive, and most women think they are contractions and go to the hospital. She said it can not hurt you if anything it will make you regular. But with my last son the male doctor I seen for one visit said that it has different affects on different women. He said he could make me go dangerously quick if that was the way my body took it. So I am not sure on what you should do. I decided not to simply because I have bad luck and I would probably be in the bathroom instead of labor and delivery..
    cowgirltuff

Answer by cowgirltuff at 12:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Everyone Ive talked to says it works. and to take it with orange flavored pop. I understand how miserable you are. But i never could bring myself to bring it cuz I always imagined having diarea while delivering and it being projectile and getting my dr in the face or something! I know i can be crazy!! lol...but anyway either way good luck to you and congrats on your little one!!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I used castor oil when I was pregnant with #1 I researched it before using it, and I learned that the most common "complication" of it is that the baby can pass it's meconium (first bowel movement) before birth. Usually it isn't a huge deal, but it could cause an infection if the baby's mouth and nose isn't thoroughly suctioned out after birth. Everything I looked up said that even the meconium was uncommon.

I used the castor oil, and went into labor about 6 hours later, however the labor stopped. Luckily, my doctor induced me and I had my daughter that day. She did pass meconium before the birth, but ended up with no infection because of it.

It did make me have a large bowel movement before labor started, but I didn't have any diarrhea and I didn't poop on the table while giving birth. I drank it straight and chased it with Diet Coke.

That is my experience, you will have to decide what's best for you. Good luck
    busymnmommy

Answer by busymnmommy at 1:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I took about 4 oz. with coke. It wont mix in, it just settles on top so you have to drink it fast like a shot cuz its pretty nasty. Nothing happened so about an hour later I took the other 4 oz. the same way. Still nothing. I ended getting very sick to my stomach and had to lay down for a while, but it never even made me go to the bathroom. I had my daughter via induction a few weeks later. As for will it hurt the baby, I have heard that it can cause the baby to pass its first stool in the womb (meconium) and if swollowed or breathed in during the birth it can be fatal to baby. I doubt the time of day matters much... but maybe night time would be best in case it works. you don't want to be out somewhere and have to run to the bathroom. I personally will not try it again. But I have heard just as many swear by the stuff as the amount I have heard say it doesn't work. So its a personal choice really. Good Luck either way
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009