how much would you pay?

How much would you pay a babysitter for 14 hours, all in one day, for 2 kids ages 3 and 5? Both kids are potty trained, but she will have to feed them lunch and dinner.

My husband and I want to take my stepson out for his birthday, and no family is available to watch our two little ones. I have never paid a sitter before, so I have no idea what a fair amount might be. I asked her what she wanted to get paid, and she said whatever I think is fair. Help me out ladies!

I am asking this in multiple places, hoping to get lots of feedback. Thanks!

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Whenever I get a sitter for my 2 kids and it's all day she charges $25 per child .. Depends on who you get to sit every person has different price ranges. GL :)
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i would say closer to 50-60 bucks..maybe even more..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I HATE when they tell me "whatever you think is fair" response! Makes me feel so cheap!! That's why I can never get a sitter, since most of the time I can't afford it, and I don't want them to think I am taking advantage of them.

For 14 hrs & 2 kids, I would think $25 per kid (like the PP stated) would be a good jumping off point I guess. I think it more depends on the area you live in...some places $50 can take you far, and other places not so much, you see what I am getting at?
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 12:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yeah I see what you mean. This girl is a co-worker/friend. She's never babysat for me before, but she has watched another co-workers daughter several times. I trust her completely, but she's not by any means a professional babysitter. I think she just honestly doesn't know what to charge, and since she's only doing it as a favor to me, she doesn't want to seem greedy and ask for too much.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Try offering her $60? Like I said, depends on your area. And of course, your budget...
    But 14 hrs is a LONG time. I usually babysit for my friends for free (only because they use me as a last resort, since they know I have my hands completely full with my own two and I know they are pretty hard off financially)...but if someone offered me $60 for the day for 2 kids, I'd take it, so long as the meals were provided...and cost of living is pretty high here.
    Another big factor...does she have kids of her own?
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 12:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree i think 50 or 60 dollars should be good espically since the kids are still young and she would have to feed them two meals.
    littleboys2008

Answer by littleboys2008 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• She does not have kids of her own. I will be sending along some snacks, but she will be providing meals. She has lots of sisters that live with her, and they will be there to help her out, and I'm sure spoil my kids rotten. Both my kids are still in car seats, so I'm leaving her my car incase she wants to take them out anywhere, so it's not as though she's going to be stuck inside all day.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• at least 50.00 that will be a very long day for them
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Definitely $60 then. She might even think that is too low. Or maybe, $60 to watch the kids with $10 on the side for the meals? (Which sounds silly written, but for some reason just makes sense verbally). The pros and cons of her not having kids is that she won't be as taxed only having your two but she may run out of ideas by the end of the day (versus someone who has children might have tricks up their sleeve...).
    When I was a child, I remember my younger brother and I being baby-sat by my mom's single, young-ish, childless co-worker, I would say I was about 8 and my bro was 4 (or 5, there are 3.5 yrs between us), a couple of times, we even did an overnight. I had a blast cuz she had a pool in her apartments, but I do remember getting a little bored towards the end since she didn't have any toys in her home and we'd already done everything else 5 times over! LOL!
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 12:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Where I live no one would pay less than $10 an hour! Just remember that $60 is less than $4.30 an hour... I would pay no less than minimum wage and would leave a little extra for a pizza or at least have dinner made up (mac and cheese or something is fine) ready to heat up and maybe rent a movie or allow her to order a pay per view show. 2 kids here for 14 hours would likely run $210. For a high school kid you could maybe get by with $100 I know its expensive but please don't cheap out on a sitter! If you do cheap out don't expect too much ie cleanup, long walks, etc etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2009