how much would you pay?

How much would you pay a babysitter for 14 hours, all in one day, for 2 kids ages 3 and 5? Both kids are potty trained, but she will have to feed them lunch and dinner.

My husband and I want to take my stepson out for his birthday, and no family is available to watch our two little ones. I have never paid a sitter before, so I have no idea what a fair amount might be. I asked her what she wanted to get paid, and she said whatever I think is fair. Help me out ladies!

I am asking this in multiple places, hoping to get lots of feedback. Thanks!

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Depending on the baby sitter, I would say $50 that is a fair price. Now if she is an active babysitter and plan to do something with the children you might want to add more depending on the place. Another idea could be depending on the stepchild, include the kids in the fun as well.
    loyaljazz

Answer by loyaljazz at 12:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My step son is going to be 13. We are taking him out for his birthday, and we are going to a theme park. It's not that he wouldn't like for his brothers to come along, but if they did, we couldn't go on the roller coasters and such, because the boys are just too little for that.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't do it for under $100 so I guess that's the price I'd pay.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 12:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Hell where I'm from you charge between 35 and 50.. And even then it just depends on the sitter. I wouldn't pay more then 50.

TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 12:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i'd say between $50 and $75, and i would also give her a little extra and ask her to take them out for a few hours, maybe to a park, museum, even just to lunch at mcd's w/a playplace and let them run around there for a bit, if you don't want her to drive w/them unless its an emergency, maybe rent some movies and give her money to order pizza, just something so that they don't feel like they missed on all the fun.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• She's already said that she will take them out to the pool. And since both of them are still in car seats, I'm leaving her my car in case she wants to take them out to the park or something.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• 14 hrs? I would probably charge 100.00, because to be fair, someone would pay 50.00 just for 8 hrs., so that's alot of hours to care for two young ones.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• About 14 hours. 9:30 in the morning, until almost 11 at night. But they will most likely be asleep for the last couple hours.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My 13 year old is a Red Cross certified babysitter. She would charge you $7 an hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• $60. That's only about $2 a kid per hour.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2009