What States Have "Open" Access to Adoption Records (PIOG)

I've seen it posted by multiple sources that 6 states have open records access to adoptees. I can't find what 6 states anyone is actually referring to though.

What are these 6 states? The only ones I can think of are....
Alaska-Never sealed
Kansas-Never sealed
Alabama-Open
Oregon-Open

Tennessee- Records are non-ID only and BM can revoke records in case of rape/incest.
Delaware-Records may be downgraded to non-identifying by birth mother's request

I don't find DE or TN to be open at all.

Thanks for your help!

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 12:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Adoption

• From the Bastard Nation website: The BASTARDIZED states of Alaska, Oregon, Kansas, Alabama, New Hampshire and Maine are the only U.S. states where adult adoptees have unrestricted access to their own original birth records! Join the fight to stamp the seal of supreme Bastardy on the rest of the nation!! I only count five. Does the website need updating? Are there six? For the laws on birth record restrictions for the adoptee in your life see: http://laws.adoption.com/statutes/state-adoption-laws.html

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Onethentwins-LOL! You were up really late last night! "Are there 6, I only count 5...".
    1. Alaska
    2. Oregon
    3. Kansas
    4. Alabama
    5. New Hampshire
    6. Maine

Good morning, Sunshine! Hee Hee!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• For the record, I HATE the term "bastard"! No human being is illegitimate or worth less because their parents were not married. JMHO.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• lamgr8teful, that's the point :-) A Bastard is a child that is born out of wedlock. Society has made it a dirty word because being born out of wedlock has an outdated and shameful stigma. Adoptees are taking the word back and wearing it with pride. I'm a bastard, there's nothing wrong with it, I'm not ashamed! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2009