at what age can your toddler use a pillow?

proudmomma777

Asked by proudmomma777 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son just turned 22 months & I got him one, I asked the same question awhile back & a couple of people said they will let you know which I did see for myself he loved laying on my pillow or pillows in the living room.................... It's in his bed he falls asleep on it but he still moves all over , it teaches them to stay in one spot at night, My son has been a toddler bed for 3 weeks now so he's still has to get used to it & I do ckeck just in case his face is in the pillow
    NicksMom11385

Answer by NicksMom11385 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• does he fall off his bed or get out, i've just started looking at beds.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I gave my daughter a pillow at 13 months
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 1:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I believe you are supposed to wait until they are one before giving them a pillow. Just watch how many pillows, blankets, and stuffed animals you give them. At that age they start to figure out how to stack those things to climb out of the crib. LOL
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 1:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I started my daughter at like 14 months. She loves it. make sure its not too big and fluffy. I got her a nice slightly thin but comfy one.
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 3:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Mine were using pillows before they were one.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I gave DS a pillow around 18 mo, when he had a cold to help elevate his head. He's slept so much better since having one
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 8:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I gave my son a pillow at around 13 months or so , but we did co-sleep for a really long time and he was already " stealing" my pillow and sleeping just fine ! Its all up to you mama as long as you feel safe then your should be fine, go with your instinct.
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• as soon as my son was in a toddler bed which was 8 months ago he was 15 months old....he had a pillow....some nights hell sleep on it others he wont
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My chiropractor, also my uncle, says that kids don't need a pillow until they are at least 2. Any time before that can actually put to much strain on their spine. When you lay on a pillow if your head is over elevated your spine is in a slightly curved position, without a pillow (as an adult or older child) your spine would be slightly curved also. This can cause pain and eventually need some type of treatment for it. My uncle says the best way to tell if a child is ready for a pillow is when they lay on their side with a pillow, check and see if it looks like their head is tilted up a little more and not straight with their spine.
    lissa2

Answer by lissa2 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2009